• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Clean Maui Jim Sunglasses? (Even Keel)

FroggerJohn

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Hello O Fam,

Haven't converted my girlfriend to an Oakley fan yet, but wondering if anyone has any insight on cleaning Maui Jims. My girl has a set of Even Keel frames (metal), that have some rust/dirt/sand around the lenses, after wearing them out to the beach one too many times (circled in red in the photos below).

I can't seem to find any lens removal videos online and I'd prefer clean these myself and get them back to looking new. It looks like there is a flat head screw and hinge that holds the lenses in place (circled in blue below). I'm assuming this is the way to remove the lenses. I've ordered better eyeglass tools since my set was shot and missing key pieces.

Is this the proper way to remove the lenses? Once removed, are soap and water the best for cleaning the crap in the plastic portion of the frames or is there a better cleaning solution?

Thanks in advance!

Inked1_LI.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That blue circle you have should remove the lens once it’s loosened, are they glass or polycarbonate lenses?

I’d say some and water and maybe even a light alcohol solution could help clean it . Just make sure you dry it really well before replacing the lens back in the frame.

That blue circle you have should remove the lens once it’s loosened, are they glass or polycarbonate lenses?

I’d say some and water and maybe even a light alcohol solution could help clean it . Just make sure you dry it really well before replacing the lens back in the frame
Thank you for the help! They are glass lenses - MJ calls them "SuperThin Glass"

Yes loosen that screw you have the blue circle around. You should not have to remove it all the way just loosen enough to allow some wiggle in the plastic part. Run some warm water and a bit of dawn dish soap in there to rinse it out (should flush the sand out). You can then clean the rest of the lens with whatever sunglass cleaner you wish.

Yes loosen that screw you have the blue circle around. You should not have to remove it all the way just loosen enough to allow some wiggle in the plastic part. Run some warm water and a bit of dawn dish soap in there to rinse it out (should flush the sand out). You can then clean the rest of the lens with whatever sunglass cleaner you wish.
And as Marksman said make sure to let it dry out before tightening it all back up.

Thank you for the help!

Update on this: I've gotten one lens and plastic border removed and cleaned. I went ahead and fully removed the screw to disassemble the plastic portion from the frame and clean it as well. I was able to get some rust/grime out with soap and water, however it looks like the finish on the frame surrounding the lens is worn and scraped (not by me during cleaning ;) ). These worn areas are the spots that stick out like a sore thumb in the photos in the original post. Just speculating, but the worn spots could have been caused over months of a particle of sand rubbing in between the plastic and the metal frame.

Any idea how to fix @OakleyJared @Markman69 ? Or is this a lost cause?

12.jpg

13.jpg

You can send them back to Maui Jim and for a charge they can be refurbished. My recommendation: send them in with $13 processing fee. Make sure to add in your contact information. They will call you if any further payment is needed. Many people get them back after no additional charge and aren't sure if they were fixed or a brand new pair was sent. If there is a charge it will be a lot less than a new pair of Even Keel probably around $75. For that it would be a new frame.

Since that damage is pretty slight you could also put them back together and let them get a little worse and then do the above.

I tell people no matter what happens to your MJs always send them back in.

Also if you have a Sunglass Hut or Tommy Bahama close by they sometimes have boxes with the address already on them.

if not send them to: Maui Jim Attn: Repair Dept One Aloha Lane Peoria, IL 61615

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back