• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How to Deal With an Out-of-Spec Pro M Frame

schnitzeraffe

Oakley Expert
Hi guys.

I've been lurking on here for a month or two now, but this is my first post.

First off let me say that I'm a big fan of the Pro M Frames.

I've had a white pair and black pair for a while, and have recently been trying to replace a yellow pair that lost a fight with my windshield. :confused:

I found a frame, but the left temple is bent in way more than it should be.

It's not noticeable while being worn, but can be felt during placement and removal and is also quite obvious when viewed off person.

DSC_7526_zps63pebnkv.jpg

I searched on here for any ideas about fixing it and only came up with one thread that mentioned boiling water and hair dryers to heat up and bend the frame back.

Unfortunately it was more of a he-said she-said reference with no real first hand results posted.

What say you Oakley Forum experts?

I've fractured a right stem beneath the earsock, I believe from repetitive stress as opposed to any direct damage.
They're tough, but not infallible.
Personally, I'd just live with it if it doesn't affect function, rather than "fix" it.

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if @Rustpot may have some input on this subject
Thanks for the shout, Frank.

Did they arrive like that due to shipping? I've had a few frames come where the shipper crammed them in a box that was a bit too small and the frame didn't spring back.

A few of them were fine after leaving them flat on my dresser with the sun beating in from the window letting them get a bit warm.

I'd certainly want to get them back in shape so you're not putting so much bending stress on the frame every time you wear them. A little heat and a little gentle persuasion might help. I certainly wouldn't use a heat gun and try to muscle them back in shape.

They did come out of the shipping box that way, but there seemed like plenty of room in there.

Not crammed in any way.

I'll set them in the front seat of my car this weekend in the direct sun with the windows up, let them warm up a little, and see what I can do.

I left the frame in my car baking in the Florida sun for about 5 hours today.

Now only it got up to about 80 degrees, but it was probably 120 in my car.

The left temple is not back to 100%, but it is noticeably better!

DSC_7568_zpsqqmbkwpn.jpg

And I didn't even have to bend it.

I may put it back in the car tomorrow with a small beach ball wearing it. :cool:

Then inflate until mild pressure is exerted on the temples.

So the beach ball trick took care of it!

After getting the frame hot in the car, I added the ball, and then increased the pressure every hour or so until it was at max capacity.

The frame has now been at controlled room temperature for about five hours and is holding its new shape nicely.

DSC_7570_zpsukhvrf58.jpg

It is actually about as wide as my black frame (which is the older, more heavily used pair).

It is more comfortable than my white pair so I may do this heat treatment to the white pair too. ;)

So the beach ball trick took care of it!

After getting the frame hot in the car, I added the ball, and then increased the pressure every hour or so until it was at max capacity.

The frame has now been at controlled room temperature for about five hours and is holding its new shape nicely.

DSC_7570_zpsukhvrf58.jpg

It is actually about as wide as my black frame (which is the older, more heavily used pair).

It is more comfortable than my white pair so I may do this heat treatment to the white pair too. ;)
Congrats! :) :party:

Latest Posts

Back