• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How-to: Getting Earstems Secured Better

I can't believe there aren't any reasonably priced, quality alternatives to going thru Oakley. These glasses have been out for well over a decade and while there may not be a huge market, you'd think someone would step in. Esp with the tune-ups being a necessity every few years. I'm gonna buy a beater pair and have a buddy break them down and see if it's gonna be possible for us to do our own.

Yea I want to find a beater pair and work on that to.
Hey pm me I have a great idea how to remove the pins without damaging the glasses

I will call oakley and try to source some more washers. I took the stem off and only 2 fell out so I guess I'm down 2 already. Thanks.

look carefully, the washers usually get stuck together so there will be 2 on top and 2 bottom. when I pulled out mine, I also thought there were only 2.

Yeah its quite common to find your washers chewed up or torn, or completely missing. you need 2 on top, and 2 on the bottom. someone needs to buy plastic sheets (i have the gauge dimensions somewhere.. ) and an adjustable circular puncher, and start cranking these out. DG_mods used to supply them, but hes since stopped. I have what remains of that stock he made (which is not much.. enough for maybe 10 pairs of glasses at most).

also regarding Oakley sending stuff out, they usually dont send washers or screws or gaskets.. BUT I have managed to get them to send me a pair of hinge screws as well as orbital gaskets so nothing is impossible.. its all about who you talk to and how you negotiate it. as long as you can convince the rep to write it on the order slip, the technicians and dispatch will comply. The Customer Service rep's order slip is the key, and they're usually the barrier from getting things sent out.

Hey pm me I have a great idea how to remove the pins without damaging the glasses

haha share with us!

Yeah its quite common to find your washers chewed up or torn, or completely missing. you need 2 on top, and 2 on the bottom. someone needs to buy plastic sheets (i have the gauge dimensions somewhere.. ) and an adjustable circular puncher, and start cranking these out. DG_mods used to supply them, but hes since stopped. I have what remains of that stock he made (which is not much.. enough for maybe 10 pairs of glasses at most)

I've made my own replacements using a punch and the plastic sheets you use for laminating paper as its tough smooth stuff. Look as good as the real thing and never had one wear out yet. They are a little fiddly to fit so I use a long needle passed through the screw hole to hold everything in place and align before the screw is replaced.

Back