• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

šŸ¦˜Tips on How to Protect Yourself in a Transaction on O.F.

Updated 25th April, 2020, by @cacatman

Have any good tips? Leave a comment below.

How to Protect Yourself as a BUYER:-

1. Check this list FIRST. If a name is there, they can currently be trusted and you shouldn't have a problem. The sellers on this list have been known to go "above and beyond" for their buyers. Trust is the most important thing because EVEN PayPal Goods & Services can be scammed. See here. See how another ("Triangle") PayPal Scam works here. Why it's better to Trust a Seller/Buyer, than PayPal - Click Here.
  2. PM me for a list of KNOWN DISHONEST SELLERS (unfortunately there are some in every forum. It's not necessarily O.F.'s fault).
  3. Check the person's feedback rating (click on their "rating"). Bear in mind that there are good reasons why people don't leave honest feedback on the forum. See here.
  4. Be polite to the seller. If they hate you, or you are a very demanding buyer, if things go wrong, they probably won't be too inclined to help.
  5. Get clear pictures of the items you are buying so you can tell if there's been a "bait and switch" or there is a dispute about described condition. For that reason, I always offer 10% less than I am willing to pay (to cover poorly described items), unless it's @X-Metal Beast (who actually describes stuff worse than they are!).
  6. Email the Seller's account and get a reply to ensure that they actually OWN that account (see "Triangle" Scam here).
  7. When paying by PayPal, MAKE sure that you include specific details as to WHAT you are actually buying in the notes section of PayPal.
  8. Pay via PayPal Goods and Services ONLY - If you pay via PayPal Friends and Family, there is NO protection for you if the deal goes south.
  9. Lodge a PayPal dispute well BEFORE the 6 months anniversary of payment if you haven't received your item.
  10. Ensure the seller sends the TRACKING number. N.B. It is normal for international tracking to be "spotty" when leaving the seller's country.
  11. Have your items insured (bear in mind, this may mean that you will pay tax when it enters your country if it hits a certain threshold value)
  12. Ask for TRACKING and get it from the seller. N.B. It is normal for international tracking to be "spotty" when leaving the seller's country.
  13. Ask the seller to send photos of the sealed box/postage payments. Most good sellers will photograph the box that you can expect, with a clear photo of the receipt and send it directly via PM/WhatsApp when they are in the post office (so that you know when it was posted).
  14. If you are super paranoid, videotape yourself weighing the box/checking the weight for the postage on the paperwork, and then opening up the box in a continuous take. There have been cases where the box has clearly been too light for the item that it was supposed to carry.

P.S. If you believe you have been ripped off by someone, PM me so I can update my "bad egg" list (but I will need proof, obviously).

How to Protect Yourself as a SELLER:-
  1. Check this list FIRST. If a name is there, they can currently be trusted and you shouldn't have a problem. The sellers on this list have been known to go "above and beyond" for their buyers. Trust is the most important thing because EVEN PayPal Goods & Services can be scammed. See here. Why it's better to Trust a Seller/Buyer, than PayPal - Click Here.
  2. PM me for a list of KNOWN DISHONEST SELLERS (unfortunately there are some in every forum. It's not necessarily O.F.'s fault). If they are a dishonest seller, they're probably sly on the buying side as well.
  3. Check the person's feedback rating (click on their "rating"). Bear in mind that there are good reasons why people don't leave honest feedback on the forum. See here.
  4. Be polite to the buyer. If they hate you, or you are a very demanding seller, if things go wrong, they probably won't be too inclined to help. Be prepared to put in the work to build their trust by indulging even their "stupid" questions. If they find you short and unpleasant, they probably won't buy from you in the future.
  5. Wait for PayPal payments to register as a credit into your account before posting.
  6. Only post to registered PayPal addresses.
  7. Do NOT allow local pickup of PayPal Goods & Services paid items. The buyer can lodge a PayPal claim that you have not posted (and you will not have a tracking receipt if they picked up).
  8. If you are super paranoid, videotape yourself packing the box.

General Tips That May Help You:-
  1. Only buy from people who post in the "What Oakleys Are You Wearing Today" Thread (tip from @Litos)
  2. Keep your ear to the ground and talk to long time members here for advice

Have I been burned? Heck Yeah!!!. And it kinda hurt a bit!!!! :headbang:
Your #1 bullet point should be removed. That list was proven it had names on it that shouldnā€™t be...

Your #1 bullet point should be removed. That list was proven it had names on it that shouldnā€™t be...
I agree. The list was compromised.
Thatā€™s why I wrote ā€œcurrentlyā€ Ie as far as I know.

Itā€™s no different from any of the other lists that I maintain. They may have inaccuracies, which I correct, if I receive objective information.

But I take your point, and have adjusted post slightly.

It would be much easier to have a ā€œblacklistā€ of names. But itā€™s disallowed.

Last edited:
Thatā€™s why I wrote ā€œcurrentlyā€ Ie as far as I know.

Itā€™s no different from any of the other lists that I maintain. They may have inaccuracies, which I correct, if I receive objective information.

It would be much easier to have a ā€œblacklistā€ of names. But itā€™s disallowed.
Youā€™re still essentially giving your blessing on a seller...

Does this criteria applies to trades ??

So far i only have made 1 purchase here on the Forum, and the seller did trust me and the deal we made went ok.
I told him from the begining of the deal that i didnt have Paypal and he agreed that my payment was made via Postal Office Money Order, thanks a lot for your trust @iamFLIP

I guess what i am trying to say is that i too think like @Litos on doing deals whith active members or the ones who are active on the WOAYWT thread, but if i ever want to sell something here i will be more inclined to do a trade .
If you really wanted to be safe with trades, you can both paypal g and s payments for each otherā€™s sunglasses.

Personally, I donā€™t do trades with people I donā€™t know unless they are willing to post first.

Youā€™re still essentially giving your blessing on a seller...
Those sellerā€™s are of course my opinion and my personal experience. Itā€™s possible for people to turn ā€œdishonestā€ or lack integrity at some stage in life, even if they didnā€™t always start that way c.f. marriages for example - they start well, then some fail later due to loss of trust/integrity.

The sellerā€™s on the list below my list are recommendations by others.

A lot (not all) of sellers that I have on my personal black list have 100% forum ratings. So, I think using all the information together is helpful.

Those sellerā€™s are of course my opinion and my personal experience. Itā€™s possible for people to turn ā€œdishonestā€ or lack integrity at some stage in life, even if they didnā€™t always start that way c.f. marriages for example - they start well, then some fail later due to loss of trust/integrity.

The sellerā€™s on the list below my list are recommendations by others.

A lot (not all) of sellers that I have on my personal black list have 100% forum ratings. So, I think using all the information together is helpful.
I do agree that the feedback system is not utilized properly. It seems to be that way on the couple of forums Iā€™ve used over the years...šŸ™