• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I know there are many people out there who might be confused when it comes to the proper way to clean your Oakley glasses. What is the best way, what makes my glasses last longer, or what is harmful to my glasses? I will answer all of these questions in detail. For some, you might know this information but for others this will be an informative look at cleaning your Oakley eyewear.

Why do I need to clean my glasses?
Let's face it, if you're exposed to the elements then more than likely so are your glasses. You sweat, have face oils, wear hair products, colognes, purfumes and whatever else is out there. Just like you wash your clothes, you need to clean your glasses.

What do/can these things do to my glasses?
When Plutonite and Iridium are exposed to certain elements, if left on for prolonged periods of the time they can actually eat away at your lenses. Bubbling, peeling, blemishing, and even pitting can occur if your eyewear isn't routinely cleaned properly. The same things can also occur to your Oakley sunglass frame if not properly cleaned as well.

What can I do to clean my glasses?
One word: Oakley Lens Cleaning Kit. When you're at the Oakley store and the associates offer this product, you might think they are just trying to add an accessory. However, they're doing it to help you protect your investment in Oakley products. Oakley's Lens Cleaning Kit includes a spray bottle with their own special cleaning formula, a microfiber cloth, and a flathead/philips screwdriver kit for those with a metal frame. Did I mention that the kit includes FREE LIFETIME REFILLS? (At Oakley, Sunglass Hut and Lens Crafters locations) Why wouldn't you buy it? At a cost of $10 USD, it's an absolute steal.

View attachment 94270

What is so special about Oakley's Lens Cleaning Kit?
Oakley's Lens Cleaning Kit is specially made for Oakley eyewear. Their unique lens cleaning formula contains less than 5% alcohol content by volume, so it is not harmful to the frame or lenses of your Oakley sunglasses. It is also safe for any other eyewear or electronics you might own (it works wonders on my iPhone).

View attachment 222001

Can I use any other lens cleaning spray?
You can feel free to use any other lens cleaning spray you might have as long as it has less than 5% alcohol. Some manufacturers do not specify this so you might have to do your own research.

What about cleaning cloths?
There are some manufacturers who make premade lens cleaning cloths, however the same rules applies with the alcohol content. Do your research before you buy something you aren't sure of.

What cloths can I use to wipe down my glasses?
I always use Oakley's microfiber Bags and special lens cleaning microfiber bags. You can also use the microfiber that is included in the cleaning/Nano Clear kit. I recommend washing the bags every few months to get rid of oil buildup.

If Oakley cloths aren't an option, 3M sells a nice cloth if you want multiples - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Microfiber-Cle ... B00009PSZ2

How often should I clean my glasses?
The time between cleanings depends on how much you wear them and for every person your mileage will vary. However, out of my ten glasses that I switch between I clean all of my glasses once a week.

What areas do I need to concentrate on when cleaning?
This will vary depending on the user, however it is very important to concentrate on the area that gets the most exposure to oils, sweat and other elements: the inside. The nose area, stems, and insides of the lenses are all exposed to many different elements when you're wearing the glasses because of the obvious contact it makes with your face. Be sure to clean the main contact areas that way prolonged exposure to harmful elements does not occur.

What about Unobtanium?
Oakley's patented rubber (Unobtanium) that is on many of the Sport/Active frame styles is made to become sticky as it becomes wet. Meaning when you sweat, they will grip better. Naturally be design, they are meant to absorb as much as possible so eventually it will break down. However, there are preventative measures you can take to make the pieces on your glasses last longer. I like to apply a small amount of Purel onto a paper towel and liberally rub up and down on the rubber piece. It will remove any contaminants from the earsocks/nose pieces and also clean them. The best part is that it dissipates in a few seconds and leave your pieces thoroughly clean. You can also use the soap and water method shown in the video below.

How can I clean my cloths/cleaning towels?
The best way to clean Oakley's and any other manufacturers microfiber products is to machine wash in cold water, and to let air dry. Do not use laundry soap that contains fabric softener.

I hope this gives some people insight on how to properly clean your Oakley sunglasses. These techniques will allow your eyewear to look like-new for a long time and allow the glasses to last as long as possible. Protect your investment and clean your sunglasses properly.

Detailed cleaning video

Thanks for the info.

Any suggestions on how to get a smoke smell out?

Bought a real nice frame that's complete with box and display and everything but hot damn does it smell like an ash tray.

Hoping someone here has figured something out otherwise this one is going up for resale unfortunately

Any suggestions on how to get a smoke smell out?

Bought a real nice frame that's complete with box and display and everything but hot damn does it smell like an ash tray.

Hoping someone here has figured something out otherwise this one is going up for resale unfortunately

I had a boxed frame that reeked of smoke too. Like Si said, just wash the frame and MF bag and air it out. For the box, I set it outside under my screened in porch for a few days and that helped a lot with the smoke smell.

Box is key. It's a 10th mtn gascan
This one?
IMG_4370.JPG

Thanks to OP for all the great info.

They just installed cleaning stations in a few Oakley stores. I took all my X-Metals, PB1 and Radar Lock on Friday. Here is the video of the XX 24K going through the process:

My favourite way of cleaning my glasses is using that machine at Foothills Ranch and checking out the HQ while I'm there. :)

Back