• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Re-paint Pro M Frame And New Zero Icons

OpinionatedOakley

Oakley Expert
Looking for suggestions here folks. I strongly suspect the original way Oakley painted these was by spraying, because some of them have a slight amount of overspray in areas. I've tried hand painting and dipping - both total failures. I have an airbrush and am going to give spraying a try but I thought I'd post here first and see if anyone had done this and had some pointers. Thanks!

The hand painting didn't come out well. It was really hard to hold it on the edge and it wasn't as even as the factory job.

Try doing the icons using the dry brush technique. Use a high quality natural hair brush with a fine pointed tip. Make sure you don't get the paint on to the metal part holding the bristles or the paint will flow back down to the bristles and mess things up.

Once you got some paint on the tip of the bristles wipe some of the paint off using a paper towel. What you are trying to do is to get rid of the excess paint but still leave enough to put on the icon without making it drip all over the place.

Not sure if I'm explaining it well but Youtube has some videos. Just do a search on "dry brushing models" and you can see the concept.

Another thing which might work is similar to the rubber stamps you would use to stamp "copy" on a document. The rubber stamp is raised like the Icon. You could put a little bit of paint on a stiff sponge and use that to stamp the paint on to the icon.

Hope it works. Let us know how it works out.

Have you considered water transfer or sending them to dr.chop? I think he does basic colors for cheap.

Not sure if OpinionatedOakley is like me but some people have satisfaction from doing it themselves.

Changed the clutch in my 4Runner last month and painted my house last year. Lots of satisfaction and better yet lots of extra spending money to buy more Oakleys!

Not sure if OpinionatedOakley is like me but some people have satisfaction from doing it themselves.

Changed the clutch in my 4Runner last month and painted my house last year. Lots of satisfaction and better yet lots of extra spending money to buy more Oakleys!

im the self-titled king of DIY and theres nothing better than exactly that! me and my mate used to work on cars together, totally stripped and rebuilt 3-4 cars ourselves, awesome stuff

Back