• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Remove Overspray From Frames And Lenses?

GRFMotorsports

is an Oakley whore
Premium Member
Nixa, Mo
I purchased a while back a pair off ebay that had some overspray on them. I just stuck them in the drawer and forgot about them but ran across them again yesterday and it got me thinking, I need to fix these.

Now it easy to remove overspray from metal items and such but how does one go about doing it on lenses and frames made of plastic with or w/o iridium coatings? What chemicals have you used that were light enough not to damage the finish? Just looking to see what others have done and what works. Thanks!

Do you know that type of paint it is? Also, are the frames painted? Not sure if you want to use polish on the lenses since polish contains abrasives.

If you know the paint is latex then I've had good results using Simple Green cleaner to soften the latex paint. I would only do it on a polished frame as don't know how the Simple Green would affect a painted frame.

Also, not sure how it would affect lenses.

Another alternative is rubbing alcohol.

Whatever you use, try testing on a inconspicuous area.

Please let us know what you do and how it comes out.

Try oven cleaner on an inconspicuous part of the lens. I once used oven cleaner to remove custom pinstriping on a motorcycle, and it didnt even damage the clearcoat.

Similar to xmetalmaniac, I use McGuires plastic polish with a microfiber cloth. I have used it lightly on lenses too. Maybe just me but I would stay away from oven cleaner!! I stripped the anodizing off a motorcycle frame using Easy Off Heavy duty oven cleaner, a little splash hit my trailer a removed the paint. Works great removing finger prints from your finger tips.

Back