• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To: Strip A Frame?

Yeti

Frostmonkey
Staff member
Calgary Alberta
I have a bagged flak frame. It's paint is wearing off in numerous places etc.

Anyone have an easy way to strip all the remaining paint without damaging the frame?

I have a bagged flak frame. It's paint is wearing off in numerous places etc.

Anyone have an easy way to strip all the remaining paint without damaging the frame?

I just stripped my Flak the other day. The gloss black paint was already flaking though. Use brake fluid. It will take the paint off without damaging the plastic. Even the brake fluid didn't take everything off. I had to scrape some of it off with my fingernail. Now I have a matte finish Flak just waiting for paint.

Note: it worked on the Flak but I had a matte painted Gascan and I had a hard time removing the finish. Brake fluid didn't work. Alcohol sorta worked on some parts but on others it just made it crack and it didn't come off

Oh if you are going to use brake fluid, separate the arms from the orbitals and put the pieces into a sandwich sixed ziplock bag. Pour a little brake fluid into the bag and try to squeeze out the air and fold the unused portion so the liquid doesn't run away from the parts. Just put enough fluid to cover the orbitals and the arms.

Try using Fairy Power Spray: same instructions as MaukaRunner, but it's more kind to your hands and doesn't affect the plastic, though I'd wear gloves during the application...

Back