• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How To Tell Frogskins Age Or Generaton?

racrboy

Oakley Beginner
Hey Everyone!!!

Glad to be on the forum. Everyone has been so helpful here.

I have a pair of clear / purple Frogskins without the screw hinge sides. Old school Oakley Logo (thermonuclear style) with a purple-ish lense.

Made in the USA, definitely legit, and at least 15-20 years old. They came in a grey microfiber bag with the white and blue tag.

Very common, or are they anything special?

No serial numbers or any other markings that I can see on them. If so, where should I look?

Definitely legit, but seem to be common on flea-bay.

Sounds like gen2 frogskins. They are not really rare for say, they are just old. Just be careful changing out the lenses the frames crack really easily.

I don't know much about the gen 2 frames but I'm sure RVF a member here will follow up with some detailed information for you.

Cool. You guys are the greatest!!!

Now if I can only find that elusive white 1987 Razor blade crossbar to replace mine.....

check the hinge...Gen 2 frogs (not with metal hinges, which is gen 1), had small tab hinges. The new versions have a longer section of the hinge which strengthens them. That is the easiest way to tell on that

Hey Everyone!!!

Glad to be on the forum. Everyone has been so helpful here.

I have a pair of clear / purple Frogskins without the screw hinge sides. Old school Oakley Logo (thermonuclear style) with a purple-ish lense.

Made in the USA, definitely legit, and at least 15-20 years old. They came in a grey microfiber bag with the white and blue tag.

Very common, or are they anything special?

No serial numbers or any other markings that I can see on them. If so, where should I look?

Definitely legit, but seem to be common on flea-bay.

The glass you describe would appear to be Crystal Clear - Violet 03-070, or if the frame is darker it could be Crystal Black - Violet 03-087, either of which are 2nd generation issues. From your comments it seems to have just the microbag thus an incomplete example would be of lesser value. It would be reasonable to consider that the most sought after Frogskins from either this or the original range would be complete with contents and the box, and even then only a few selected pairs are likely to attract significant prices. There were no specific limited or signature type editions and they do not have serial numbers although all production items have a part code that starts '03' which will be seen on the label.

Back