• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How to tell if your Jawbones or Hard Case are FAKE!!! (cacatman)

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
If you ever purchase Oakleys from eBay, Gumtree (Australia), Craigslist or dodgy websites etc, you do run the small (to large) risk of purchasing fake counterfeit products.

N.B. Although I've bought <15 pieces from "Oakley Forum", I've NEVER seen any fake or sunglasses I thought were fake being sold in the "Exchange" sections.

It's usually possible to tell quickly on close inspection that these items are dodgy, but when purchasing sight unseen (due to poor photography) or deliberately misleading product information, then there are a few telltale signs that you're about to (or have already) purchase(d) a fake.

There are a number of differences from the genuine article:-

Fake cloth below. Printed/stamped with the Oakley Logo.
Fake Oakleys - 3 (1).jpg

Fake case - For some reason, a lot of knockoffs seem to have a "carabina" attachment.
Fake Oakleys - 1 (1).jpg

Another fake case - Notice the "odd" profile of the extra wide case.
Fake Oakleys - 7 (1).jpg

A giveaway for a fake case is the inside. Usually either filled with cheap foam, or just empty space.
Fake Oakleys - 9 (1).jpg

Another fake interior...
Fake Oakleys - 2 (1).jpg

This is the real thing. Notice the excellent quality "dense" foam cutouts.
Fake Oakleys - 4 (1).jpg

And here's another example of an original Oakley case
Fake Oakleys - 5 (1).jpg

Notice the zippers also. The one on the left is the slightly smaller but tapered zip from an original case. The bulbous larger zip on the right is fake.
Fake Oakleys - 6 (1).jpg

Now the Jawbone differences!

It's difficult to tell, but usually the "tolerance" of the quality of construction is lacking ie., hinges and joints will be loose, there may be sharp "edges" where the poorly made moulds have cast the frame, pieces may not necessarily fit tightly together, e.g. at the nose rubber-frame joint. This is difficult to see unless you have a real pair to compare it with.

These are fake....
Fake Oakleys - 10.jpg

These are real. There's a more exact fit...
Fake Oakleys - 8.jpg

If the small bolt that holds the nosepiece in place is more like a flat head screw attachment, then it's fake. Sorry about the lousy picture. At least you can see where to look. The lenses must be removed.
Fake Oakleys - 4.jpg

The real pair have a "rivet" i.e. the round pin has been "punched" and depressed in the centre...
Fake Oakleys - 11.jpg

Last edited:
Updated 18th March, 2018 by cacatman

The bolts will also protrude more than normal and won't sit "flush" with the frame. These are fake.
Fake Oakleys - 5.jpg

There is a subtle difference in the Oakley icons also. The fake ones (below) are more "bulbous" and not as "sharp" as the original (above). They also protrude a little more than the normal icon. Please note, that the second generation of Jawbones (ie. the "New" Racing Jackets) had slightly larger icons.
Fake Oakleys - 6.jpg

The Lenses themselves will usually be poorly cut and may be slightly larger or slightly smaller than original lenses. They may also be a different colour to standard Oakley issue lenses (mirrored, deeper or lighter shades etc. which can be hard to tell from computer monitor photos). Side by side they can be difficult to tell the difference. The (trashed) blue lens on the left is an original. The right "fire" lens is fake.
Fake Oakleys - 1.jpg

The way to tell them apart is to place them on top of each other. As you can see, they are a completely different shape. Here's the fake on top of the real lens...
Fake Oakleys - 2.jpg

...and a real lens on top of the fake....
Fake Oakleys - 3.jpg

On real Jawbones, there is an oblong 'O' embossed on the inside of the jaw part of the orbital just in from the bolt (@mjt42)
Fake ones don't have the "O" embossed. This is a real one...
screenshot_288.png

Last edited:
So! There you have it!

I've been ripped off a couple of times, but got money back both times due to the PayPal buyer's protection plan.

I do have a couple of tips if you do happen to get scammed!!!!

1. Make sure you take good photographs AS SOON as you determine that they are fake (ie. as soon as possible) from opening the package and keep the packaging and contents safely!

2. Therefore, always pay by "PayPal - GOODS AND SERVICES" so that you have the buyer protection.

3. Be as polite as possible. There are some sellers who deliberately sell fake stuff. However, in my experience, most sellers aren't necessarily trying to rip you off. They may genuinely not know that what they are selling is fake. Being polite (but firm in what you want) will definitely help your chances in a resolution in your favour, but also won't leave a bad taste in someone else's mouth, especially if they have made a genuine error. If you exercise restraint and grace towards someone else, even if it's their "fault", it will reflect well on your character (and hopefully encourage them to do the right thing/be more careful in the future!).

All the best! I trust that you've learnt something from my mistakes!!!!

Last edited:
Bag and cloth are usually the dead giveaways, but the details you put out are great for people buying standalone pairs. My usual reference is the padding inside the upper orbital sections. I didn't think about the rivet, though. Most of the time, fakes would have instant giveaways before getting to that point. Some fakes are executed so horribly that they don't have rubber or functional Switchlock setups.

Sticky-worthy stuff.

So! There you have it!

I've been ripped off a couple of times, but got money back both times due to the PayPal buyer's protection plan.

I do have a couple of tips if you do happen to get scammed!!!!

1. Make sure you take good photographs AS SOON as you determine that they are fake (ie. as soon as possible) from opening the package and keep the packaging and contents safely!

2. Therefore, always pay by "PayPal - GOODS AND SERVICES" so that you have the buyer protection.

3. Be as polite as possible. There are some sellers who deliberately sell fake stuff. However, in my experience, most sellers aren't necessarily trying to rip you off. They may genuinely not know that what they are selling is fake. Being polite (but firm in what you want) will definitely help your chances in a resolution in your favour, but also won't leave a bad taste in someone else's mouth, especially if they have made a genuine error. If you exercise restraint and grace towards someone else, even if it's their "fault", it will reflect well on your character (and hopefully encourage them to do the right thing/be more careful in the future!).

All the best! I trust that you've learnt something from my mistakes!!!!
It is great to be informed of these crooks before they leak into our forum. I have looked into this before I joined and knew that many of these companies have been shut down for counterfeiting and have actually been sued by Oakley. But, it's hard to fend of Cockroaches.

After lurking before joining years ago I have honestly never given any thought to fakes here in our exchange. I've seen some non-Oakley stuff being sold and clearly described as "tribute" or "invented"..these have been displays and holders, never glasses or lenses. I trust and am thankful for the membership policing here, it's a good feeling not to worry about it. @cacatman sorry you had to learn the hard way but thank you for the guide and pics.

We all have to keep constant vigil in here, and look out for each other on e-bay and c-list, asking questions about items for sale outside here is the easiest way to verify!

And @SecretNinja is unfortunately correct...it's very hard indeed to fend off cockroaches.

After lurking before joining years ago I have honestly never given any thought to fakes here in our exchange. I've seen some non-Oakley stuff being sold and clearly described as "tribute" or "invented"..these have been displays and holders, never glasses or lenses. I trust and am thankful for the membership policing here, it's a good feeling not to worry about it. @cacatman sorry you had to learn the hard way but thank you for the guide and pics.

We all have to keep constant vigil in here, and look out for each other on e-bay and c-list, asking questions about items for sale outside here is the easiest way to verify!

And @SecretNinja is unfortunately correct...it's very hard indeed to fend off cockroaches.

Well, two times, I got a full refund via PayPal. Both items were bought through eBay. I see lots of fake ones being sold as "originals" on Gumtree Australia.

Well, two times, I got a full refund via PayPal. Both items were bought through eBay. I see lots of fake ones being sold as "originals" on Gumtree Australia.

Just re-read your page and saw two ripoffs. Sorry again man. At least you got your money back. Would rather have had the glasses though I'll bet.

:(

Just re-read your page and saw two ripoffs. Sorry again man. At least you got your money back. Would rather have had the glasses though I'll bet.

:(
After I read your first post, I edited my original post to make it clear that I hadn't received (or suspected) fake stuff on Oakley Forum!! It's probably the safest (and cheapest) place I've found to buy great condition Oakleys (or at least ACCURATELY described Oakleys). On top of that, the collectors here are awesome in terms of their helpfulness and willingness to help relative newbies like me.

I think the reason that we have to use Goods & Services here on Oakley Forum is to protect against genuinely lost items, as opposed to someone not posting, or posting fake stuff.

Back