• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HQ Employee Store

My sister in law is a safety officer for the city of Norwalk. She called HQ and asked if she was eligible for the discount. They said any law enforcement official, regardless of the branch is eligible.

So she went, with her officer ID and her badge. It was a Monday, she didn't ask and they didn't tell her it was only Tuesdays and Fridays.

Anyway, they told her there she wouldn't qualify either way. Only sworn, active police officers qualify.

She just gave up and didn't go back. I am still curious if she would qualify though.

I don't work for them but I will bet what they mean by Law enforcement is "persons who are sworn with a badge and a firearm and who have arrest powers. It follows the same for their SI site.

I don't work for them but I will bet what they mean by Law enforcement is "persons who are sworn with a badge and a firearm and who have arrest powers. It follows the same for their SI site.

That is exactly what I told her but I was next to her when she called and told them she is a safety officer and they told her yes.

Most likely the employee that she was transferred to either didn't pay attention or just made a mistake. The only thing was the hour+ drive so she doesn't want to go back because they already told her no.

So the question is this, does she have a badge, firearm and have arrest powers while enforcing the laws of the state?

My wife has a badge and is a sworn law enforcement officer, but does not carry a firearm as a sergeant in the county jail. She was approved still. However, in some counties the jailers are not sworn deputies.

All of the above except the firearm.

How does she protect herself without a firearm in a deadly force situation??? She may have a " safety officer" badge and she may enforce traffic or non criminal related stuff. There are NYPD officers that don't carry firearms and all they do is strictly traffic related stuff. They are NOT law enforcement or have arrest powers.

If I remember right, all she has to do it provide a copy of her ID and use her . gov email address. Actually, I'm pretty sure all she needs is her .gov email address. She shouldn't have to go in anywhere to register. I know a while back before they tightened up the rules some, all you needed with a .gov email address is to just sign up on the SI site with ONLY that .gov email.

https://www.oakleysi.com/Page.cfm?id=9

Quote from that link: "Registration is easy, but it does require us to validate your U.S. Government email address, DD Form 256 or DD Form 214, or U.S. State or U.S. Local Government identification for you membership to be activated."

Who’s Eligible?
U.S. Military and Federal (.mil or .gov email verification)

How does she protect herself without a firearm in a deadly force situation??? She may have a " safety officer" badge and she may enforce traffic or non criminal related stuff. There are NYPD officers that don't carry firearms and all they do is strictly traffic related stuff. They are NOT law enforcement or have arrest powers.

True. What happens if she tries to arrest someone without a gun? She is tiny too, I don't see that ending well. I will ask her more about her duties. She has told me though that in dangerous situations she just calls police.

If I remember right, all she has to do it provide a copy of her ID and use her . gov email address. Actually, I'm pretty sure all she needs is her .gov email address. She shouldn't have to go in anywhere to register. I know a while back before they tightened up the rules some, all you needed with a .gov email address is to just sign up on the SI site with ONLY that .gov email.

https://www.oakleysi.com/Page.cfm?id=9

Quote from that link: "Registration is easy, but it does require us to validate your U.S. Government email address, DD Form 256 or DD Form 214, or U.S. State or U.S. Local Government identification for you membership to be activated."

She did register, with her .gov email, and never, ever heard from them again. She also just gave up.

Latest Posts

Back