• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hybrid Bike/Commuter...

I'm a roadie, but I do most of my commuting to/from work on a Cannondale cyclocross, which I find perfect for the job. Basically a chunky road-bike with off-road tyres and capability. It is geared between a MTB and a road-bike, so you get some speed and have no worries hopping up kerbs and tackling pot-holes and other off-road excursions etc if needs be. There's a pic of it somewhere on the 'Show Us Your Bikes' thread along with my old Colnago.

I used to be into Konas before I ditched MTBs. I haven't ridden flat bars for a million years.

I'm a roadie, but I do most of my commuting to/from work on a Cannondale cyclocross, which I find perfect for the job. Basically a chunky road-bike with off-road tyres and capability. It is geared between a MTB and a road-bike, so you get some speed and have no worries hopping up kerbs and tackling pot-holes and other off-road excursions etc if needs be. There's a pic of it somewhere on the 'Show Us Your Bikes' thread along with my old Colnago.

I used to be into Konas before I ditched MTBs. I haven't ridden flat bars for a million years.
I love mtbs :eek:)

Each to their own, Mr D !
haha i just could never see mahself on a road bike, not my thing. i like riding over rocks and dirt and gravel and trails in the mtns. i think its since road bike, its quite challenging finding a nice 'road'to ride on where you won't get run over or honked at.
plus i can't wear crazy road bike gear...tights.

:D

I have been toying with the idea of bike commuting too, since I live fairly close to work now. I'm thinking about a single speed roadie with a flat straight handlebar and somewhat cheap in price. Nothing fancy. I guess your choice is also based on the distance from work, hybrid is a good choice and I have also heard that a 29er (single speed is an option here too) is not a bad commute ride. Good luck with your search!

Ahhhh....so many choices out there. I am kind of feelin' the Specialized Langster right now. I have no idea what I am looking for right now. I did see the Langster this morning while "window shopping"...and I really like it.

I've got a Cannondale Quick 4(I think) that I love for commuting. Rides great, been pretty reliable so far for what it's worth.

Hey guys gonna resurrect this thread, but I just found out I will be going to Korea by the end of this year where I can't have a vehicle and was looking for a good hybrid bike. I see ppl talking about price ranges in the 2-4K range and that is way out of my range. How good are the Trek 8.3 DS dual sport bikes? I have a shop here who is selling one for like $550.00. Or can someone suggest a bike under $650-700 for me?

Hmm since nobody has replied here, I am keeping it alive. I am torn between a Trek 8.3 DS, Specialized Crosstrail, or Giant Roam 1. Any thoughts?

I'm no MTBer - but purely looks-wise out of that lot I'd go Giant, unless it's way down spec-wise.
But rather than any of those, I'd go Cannondale Bad Boy.

But then, what do I know, I'm roadie and cyclocross dude only.

Back