• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hydrophobic Coating Pen - Does it adversely affect lenses/frame long term?

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Does using the hydrophobic coating pen affect frames at all? I would assume that it would be particularly bad on the Magnesium frames which seem to be susceptible to sweat/constant water exposure.

Is there any risk to lenses at all, long term? ie. change in colour at junction of the frames (which don't have solution applied).

Why shouldn't it be used on factory hydrophobic lenses (e.g. goggles)? I assume it's because it would "override" the (better) factory hydrophobic coating.

I've been using it for a few years now and never noticed any detrimental effects on the lenses.
I do make sure the lenses are removed from the frame when making applications, so I don't suppose there's much transference from lens to frame...

I'm now convinced that it is not good for the old school Oakley's. Ive coated a Iridium Red 0.4 Gen 2 and wiped it down with Hydrophobic. I saw no issues with the lenses. I then put them in their bag and box and put them away. I just pulled them out and the coating on the lenses was peeling. This has happened twice now on older Oakley's. Why? No idea, thats above my pay grade. Anyone else having new issues?

I'm now convinced that it is not good for the old school Oakley's. Ive coated a Iridium Red 0.4 Gen 2 and wiped it down with Hydrophobic. I saw no issues with the lenses. I then put them in their bag and box and put them away. I just pulled them out and the coating on the lenses was peeling. This has happened twice now on older Oakley's. Why? No idea, thats above my pay grade. Anyone else having new issues?
This site, and the "other one" are both loaded with peeling lense/bagged/boxed stories.
I'm not convinced it's Hydrophobic related...

:shock:

This pen was the first Oakley product I've ever bought to use on my Gorilla Glass phone surface. It really works great!

I tried the pen on my Madman and it seems to work okay. The hydrophobic hard coating like on my Ray Ban P3 Plus or Essilor Rx lenses already feel slippery when cleaning so no need.

Is the peeling issue only with the cool looking lenses like fire or red / ruby iridium?

That's strange, but it doesn't happen to newer pairs?

That's strange, but it doesn't happen to newer pairs?

Its just my experience, but no, its never happened to newer Oakley's that I have. Only old school. As a precaution though, Im done using Hydro on the older collection.

Back