• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hydrophobic Not Standard

classicURGE

Oakley Beginner
With my recent purchases of two new Jawbones in a month I noticed a Hydrophobic pen in the box. Which made me wonder why as my original Jawbone 2009 didn't and knowing it was "baked" into the lens. Today I talked to a Oakley person and she told me they stopped adding the Hydrophobic to the lens in 2011. Really? I searched the forum and didn't see a post about the change. Checking Oakley's website sure enough Hydrophobic was not listed on the Jawbones, Flaks, Fast Jackets or Radar. Only the Pit Boss and C-Six still had it listed in the description. I bought a replacement Radar lens off eBay a few months back and went running to check to see if it was Hydrophobic or not, it wasn't. I can easily tell by touch when I clean them. I'm surprised I never caught that when i bought them.

When Oakley introduced Hydrophobic I thought they would include them over their entire line but they only kept it on select sports performance frames. Now it seems Lux has cut back and removed it completely making those who want it, buy the pens from now on. I'm upset, and now treasure my Hydrophobic baked lenses. Now I have to run to a vault to see if I can find old/new stock Hydrophobic lenses.

Come on Oakley, Hydrophobic IS MAD SCIENCE

Edit: Juliet and X-Squared is included as well.

i agree. i think getting rid of hydrophobic lenses is a huge mistake. i have a pair of polarized flaks that came with the pen. the pen seems to work ok, but i would much rather have a "permanent" coating that i dont have to keep applying.

When I say "baked" i mean permanent coating like Iridium is on a lens. I've been told it never wears off and I never need to re-apply. My 2009 Jawbones are just as slick and water beads off them like the day I bought them. I was told that the accessory kits were for those who wanted it on Square Os or other sport frames that don't have it. Oakley's own website advertises it as permanent coating.

Oakley Sunglass Lenses - Hydrophobic | Oakley.com

When I say "baked" i mean permanent coating like Iridium is on a lens. I've been told it never wears off and I never need to re-apply. My 2009 Jawbones are just as slick and water beads off them like the day I bought them. I was told that the accessory kits were for those who wanted it on Square Os or other sport frames that don't have it. Oakley's own website advertises it as permanent coating.

Oakley Sunglass Lenses - Hydrophobic | Oakley.com

It definitely does wear off. I have owned several older pairs that needed re-application. The coating that comes pre-applied is the same stuff you apply yourself, it is simply applied at the time of production via a much better application method.

It wasn't Lux's decision to make the change, it was Oakleys. The process to incorporate the pre treated lenses took too long, and caused massive lens backorder issues. So to prevent that, they created the hydrophobic pens/kits to re apply whenever you desire. The kit you can but for $20 is awesome. I've treated all of my glasses, and what little amount is actually used, that $20 kit will last for years.

I guess I'm lucky that my coating hasn't come off. The person at the O Store said the same thing, that the process took to long causing issues. I do believe that would be the spin and company line. However I do feel Lux had a say in it just like the closing of the X-Metal factory. Oakley knew the process for making the lens just like they knew the construction costs of X-metal. Lux or Oakley just didn't want to pay for the process anymore.

I guess I'm lucky that my coating hasn't come off. The person at the O Store said the same thing, that the process took to long causing issues. I do believe that would be the spin and company line. However I do feel Lux had a say in it just like the closing of the X-Metal factory. Oakley knew the process for making the lens just like they knew the construction costs of X-metal. Lux or Oakley just didn't want to pay for the process anymore.

You do know Luxottica isn't some evil corporation hell-bent on driving Oakley into mediocrity, right?

Last I checked high cost with low returns is bad for ANY business. US manufacturing costs have only gone UP, materials costs have only gone UP. Add in the lens coating causing shortages, lost sales, and impatient customers and it's a no-brainer.

Not to single you out but I'm getting a little tired of everyone jumping straight to Luxottica as some faceless tyrant with their hand in the honey pot.

There may be a select few on this board who have direct knowledge of how decisions are made at Oakley, but they vast majority of us just use Lux as a scapegoat any time Oakley does something we don't approve of.

The solution was perfect. Pre treat lens-nasty back order<20 dollar kits-happy consumer. Definitely a no brainer

Latest Posts

Back