• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hyperion's Collection

Hyperion

Oakley Beginner
Denver, CO
Hey yall, when I was a kid I was obsessed with Oakley's I saved up for my first pair of Juliet's by taking a big chunk of every paycheck and putting a pair on layaway, and then I almost never wore them for fear of breaking or losing them. I then got jobs at several sporting goods stores, all of which sold Oakleys and I'd be so excited for new models I'd buy them outright instead of pro dealing them. I spent an entire check on a pair of Why 3's, the super rare $400 wire frames, and they were defective. Sent them in twice but never got them really fixed. I still have them somewhere but according to Oakley there's not much that can be done for them anymore since they're long discontinued. Then I got a pair of gascans at a store I worked when those just came out, only to realize I had bought them with clear lenses somehow. Since I didn't want to return them I just told myself I'd buy better lenses later, which never happened because it was literally cheaper just to buy a whole new pair. Since I now had 3 Oakley's that I NEVER wore I bought a pair of Canteens with normal black lenses and pretty much wore the hell out of those.

Now it's been a few years, I've grown up, been distracted, have too many bills to pay to afford anything more than $15 gas station glasses and pretty much forgot all about them. Even sold the Juliets to pay for some of my said bills. :'( I was digging around and found my old gascans with their clear lenses and got a bit nostalgic and so I ebayed what I could find on lenses and then discovered Visionary Lenses and figured I'd give them a try. Put a pair of purple lenses in my Gascans and wore them for the first time in the 5 years that I've had them. I was so blown away by the quality of VL lenses that I quickly dug up my poor beat up canteens, ordered some new ear socks from Oakley, and some new VL lenses in Fire and brought them back to life!

Then I realized I was so excited to be wearing my old Oakley's again that I immediately started shopping for the new models and I fell in love with the Batwolfs. But sadly I can't really afford a $250 pair of sunglasses, so I found a guy selling a brand new frame for Batwolfs without lenses. I thought maybe it was a scam but it was a good deal so at the very worst I could resell them again. Well they arrived and sure enough they were real, had them verified at an Oakley store. So with the luck I had with VL I ordered some Blue lenses and they came and I love the shades. I know i might get some flak for 3rd party lenses but I feel it's just a temporary fix till I can afford real ones, plus VL lenses are pretty decent quality and they take a good beating (but do not use them for safety glasses, apparently). But, I have bought 4 Oakley's straight from the company including 2 of their most expensive models (ignoring the Six-C of course) and so I feel I've funded them enough to get away with it plus I'm still very much representing and advertising the company by wearing them. But okay, enough of my life story, here's my CURRENT collection in photos.

IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg

Without Polarizing Filter on Camera:
IMG_0345.jpg

With Polarizing Filter on Camera:
IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

BTW: I'm trying to get some polished (chrome?) Blue O's for my Batwolf's but of course Oakley wont just sell them to me. Does anyone have some they didn't use on theirs I can get or trade or....something? They look the best with the lenses I got but Oakley won't help me out much. On another tangent, I love Oakley the company, their customer service has been awesome to me so many times, but their employees at their stores, usually are very rude to me, anyone else notice that?

Also since people keep asking if VL lenses really are polarized, here's a really cool demo I did to show they are. Not bad for $24
[video=youtube_share;oiAI1zez6l8]http://youtu.be/oiAI1zez6l8[/video]

Quite a background you got there.....but it looks like you've ended up with some nice pieces. One of the mods here on the forum (Batwolf...?) posts reviews about VL lenses occasionally, so you're not alone in having VL lenses. I think they look great myself. No worries on being shunned :) Good luck in your future endeavors. Now that you've joined the forum, you'll be getting new Oakleys whenever you can!

Btw...love the look of your black/fire canteens!

Quite a background you got there.....but it looks like you've ended up with some nice pieces. One of the mods here on the forum (Batwolf...?) posts reviews about VL lenses occasionally, so you're not alone in having VL lenses. I think they look great myself. No worries on being shunned :) Good luck in your future endeavors. Now that you've joined the forum, you'll be getting new Oakleys whenever you can!

Btw...love the look of your black/fire canteens!

Thanks. It's good to know people are pleasant about it. I'm always scared of new forums, it's so hit or miss. I've had such bad experiences with forums in fact that I am a webcomic artist, and I created a character just on the sake of my bad experiences:
Mature Conversation
051.png

I really like the Fire on the Canteens too, but actually hate wearing them. When I look in a mirror I feel like something doesn't look right about them. Like, they're too small or something. I think it's because unlike the visor feel of the Gascans and Batwolfs I can really see the ear pieces sticking out the sides when looking straight on and it looks "beady eyed" to me. But everyone else says they look normal on me. I love the Batwolf's but my two complaints is they hurt my ears after a while, and it feels like they literally are touching my eye. Like I can feel my eyelashes brushing up against them. But I still prefer them over all because i get the widest field of view out of them, and because it's a single piece of lens instead of two, the polarization is consistant. That's the one thing that bugs me about VL and it's VERY minor, is sometimes it feels like the polarization is off a little in one lens and you get that 3D glasses effect. But, like I said, it was extremely minor and I only notice it every once in a while.

One thing I have to say about VL, is their customer service is amazing. I scratched those fire lenses and they sent me all new lenses for free and didn't even want the old ones back. I mean, it gave me that feeling of I can be a little rough with my glasses and not worry about every bump and jostle.

But yeah, anyone know how to track down a set of polished blue Icons for my Batwolf? The kind that come with THESE:
OAK00910107__61917_zoom.jpg

According to Oakley, the ONLY way I can get them is to literally buy that frame...a $130 frame...for just the O's. I figured somebody here got these and probably put custom O's in and pretty much was gonna throw them away. Any takers?

Thanks. It's good to know people are pleasant about it. I'm always scared of new forums, it's so hit or miss. I've had such bad experiences with forums in fact that I am a webcomic artist, and I created a character just on the sake of my bad experiences:
Mature Conversation
051.png

I really like the Fire on the Canteens too, but actually hate wearing them. When I look in a mirror I feel like something doesn't look right about them. Like, they're too small or something. I think it's because unlike the visor feel of the Gascans and Batwolfs I can really see the ear pieces sticking out the sides when looking straight on and it looks "beady eyed" to me. But everyone else says they look normal on me. I love the Batwolf's but my two complaints is they hurt my ears after a while, and it feels like they literally are touching my eye. Like I can feel my eyelashes brushing up against them. But I still prefer them over all because i get the widest field of view out of them, and because it's a single piece of lens instead of two, the polarization is consistant. That's the one thing that bugs me about VL and it's VERY minor, is sometimes it feels like the polarization is off a little in one lens and you get that 3D glasses effect. But, like I said, it was extremely minor and I only notice it every once in a while.

One thing I have to say about VL, is their customer service is amazing. I scratched those fire lenses and they sent me all new lenses for free and didn't even want the old ones back. I mean, it gave me that feeling of I can be a little rough with my glasses and not worry about every bump and jostle.

Hey, if you ever want to let the Canteens go, I like the way they fit on me :-B

And HAHA, nice comic!

Attachments

• 051.png
    051.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 051.png
    051.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 283
Back