• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Am A Believer In Linegear!

LineGear is close to Factory. Fit and finish is perfect, Lenses are high quality with no blurring on the edges like other third party lenses. The tint of the LineGear lenses is way darker than factory though. Sometimes too dark for me. Hint----if there is a colorway for Juiet/XX/Penny that you are interested in for lenses, you can contact several members on this forum who can cut custom lenses (out of Factory ones) and then you would have a custom color way but still OEM. Just a thought......
Just the LineGear Blue Rubber kit.

LineGear Green Rubbers/ and the Jade Lenses
dsc03121do.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote this while I was still new to aftermarket and Factory lens knowledge. Since this time, I have researched optics and what Oakley and aftermarkets lens makers are using, and how it Affects vision. After learning and experimenting using Optical Equipment, I realized how horrible the optics are specifically with LineGear lenses, and also Exovista, Walleva, and VL. Oakley uses Prism Based lenses which all the other aftermarket lenses are not. This affects how your eyes see objects, and also how those objects move through the field of vision. On all the aftermarket lens websites, they claim prism but they are not. The color coatings and mirror finishes on the aftermarket lenses are additionally adding to the issues. Just cause someone charges higher prices and markets well, doesn't mean they have a really good product. LineGear has a bunch of sought after colors, which people do want, but at what sacrifice. Aftermarket lenses , as Jim Jannard said, detracts from the value you have in your oakleys. So you have a cool color lens, that takes away value, and optically is horrible, on your pair of X-Metals. Not sure I see the point. I am providing examples of no lens, Line Gear lens, and an Oakley lens. Theses examples were shot using a Stellar Projector, which magnifies the image and show you what your eyes have to correct in order to see correctly. In the case of Linegear, your eyes are unconsciously correcting the blurring. Alot of LineGear users, including myself, have headaches develope. This is all in part to adding stress to your eyes. This overtime can cause damage to your eyes. Here are the examples:
74d8.jpg

s73w.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Last edited:
While the LG lenses I've had so far hasn't given me any headaches, I can't argue with the results you've researched.

I don't think I'll be buying LG lenses anymore after seeing your tests. I'll just keep the three sets I have now and when they get scratched, I'll opt for custom cut OEM. At the same time, it's a shame because LG does offer some awesome colors.

IFINITE HERO THANK YOU FOR THIS TEST YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS OAKLEY LENSE ALL THE WAY I GUESS ILL BE CONTACTING YOU SOON FOR MY CUSTOM LENSES THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO.

Last edited:
The rubber colours look cool, but man 40 bucks is a lot of dough. Do they do discounts if you buy more than one?

good thing I saw this tread I was ALMOST going to order a lense from them for my mars but I guses I have to let hero here cut one for me I guess the rubbers would be fine from them.

THE X-MAN said:
You buy 400.00 sunglasses....then put in aftermarket lenses....because they are cool.....I dont get it.never been anything but OEM for the x-man.

Answering purely for myself - despite the images in this thread, I find no perceptible difference in image quality between OEM and aftermarket. I just tried it myself with my OEM BIP XS and new Z-Lens aftermarkets in my Juliets, and they look identical. Maybe some people just aren't as sensitive to the clarity difference, honestly I'm the type of guy who can ignore small scratches and smudges on a lens, whereas my wife can't handle even the slightest imperfection on hers, she finds it distracting and annoying.

It's also a cost issue - I don't necessarily take good care of my lenses, I often put my glasses in a zippered jacket pocket with no other protection especially in winter when I have gloves on and yeah, they get scratched. If I can't see the difference between OEM and aftermarket, why spend 3 times the price?

Answering purely for myself - despite the images in this thread, I find no perceptible difference in image quality between OEM and aftermarket. I just tried it myself with my OEM BIP XS and new Z-Lens aftermarkets in my Juliets, and they look identical. Maybe some people just aren't as sensitive to the clarity difference, honestly I'm the type of guy who can ignore small scratches and smudges on a lens, whereas my wife can't handle even the slightest imperfection on hers, she finds it distracting and annoying.

It's also a cost issue - I don't necessarily take good care of my lenses, I often put my glasses in a zippered jacket pocket with no other protection especially in winter when I have gloves on and yeah, they get scratched. If I can't see the difference between OEM and aftermarket, why spend 3 times the price?

We have had numerous discussions about just what your feelings are here. The mere fact you can't see a difference now doesn't mean in reality your eyes are adjusting to compensate for the poor optic quality. There is another thread where a few of the aftermarket lenses where tested and the optics were poor. They throw your vision off and your eyes fight to keep it correct. This giving you headaches, eye strain, and sometimes blurring vision. Just because they are cheap, look cool, have different colors, etc doesn't mean they are good. I work with a guy who uses cheap sunglasses and the lenses are so scratched. He said why spend the money on quality sunglasses because eventually they will get damaged. I said "damaged", Don't you take care of your stuff? He response was another pure excuse. Down the road as you get older your eyes are going to have an even harder time trying to adjust to poor optics. Just because you don't "see" a difference doesn't mean it's not causing eye strain. Why do you think studies and research shoes there is a difference. But hey, UV light, which seems fine to be under without protection also causes some serious problems if you don't take necessary steps to protect yourself. Just like anyone else, you need to find it out on your own. Maybe if you change your perception on taking care of them better, investing in Oakley optics will be worth it in the long run.

Back