• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I am able to wear sunglasses again!

Hello to all. I am in my mid sixties but I feel like I am 40. Back when I was 40 and wearing contact lenses I bought a pair of Oakleys for when I was riding my super cool Italian made road bicycle. The problem was that I was not real good with my contacts. I would wear them for days at a time, even sleep with them in and not clean them properly. I realized that I would eventually go blind if I kept that up, so I went back to glasses. Now as good as photochromic lenses are, they are useless when you are in a car.

Fast forward to now. I just had cataract surgery and now I have 20/20 vision uncorrected by glasses. Yaaaaaaay! I can finally wear sunglasses again. I am so happy that I bought two pair. A pair of Thinlink Prism Dailys and a pair of Flak Jacket XLJs. I love them both.

Sorry for being long winded.

Hello to all. I am in my mid sixties but I feel like I am 40. Back when I was 40 and wearing contact lenses I bought a pair of Oakleys for when I was riding my super cool Italian made road bicycle. The problem was that I was not real good with my contacts. I would wear them for days at a time, even sleep with them in and not clean them properly. I realized that I would eventually go blind if I kept that up, so I went back to glasses. Now as good as photochromic lenses are, they are useless when you are in a car.

Fast forward to now. I just had cataract surgery and now I have 20/20 vision uncorrected by glasses. Yaaaaaaay! I can finally wear sunglasses again. I am so happy that I bought two pair. A pair of Thinlink Prism Dailys and a pair of Flak Jacket XLJs. I love them both.

Sorry for being long winded.
Congrats and welcome to the forum! :party:

@Mr.Jimmy welcome back to the fold! Glad your surgery was successful. Nice choice of Oakleys.

You still have that Italian bike? Pinarello? DeRosa? Wilier?? :spiteful:

Congrats!

i know the feeling. i am only 34 but i had cataract surgery about 4 years ago. it was a side effect of cancer treatments (radiation, chemo, ect.. for Hodgkins Lymphoma) i had when i was about 26. i have never had to wear glasses in my entire life, but i had to wear sun glasses all the time due to the light bouncing around my eyes off that cloudy haze.

did you get one lens for close distance and one lens for far distance so you don't need reading glasses ever? or did you get both for distance? my left eye is focused for close and my right eye is focused for distance.

Last edited:
@Mr.Jimmy welcome back to the fold! Glad your surgery was successful. Nice choice of Oakleys.

You still have that Italian bike? Pinarello? DeRosa? Wilier?? :spiteful:
Unfortunately I do not. It was a Colnago. An old school steel frame that I bought 25 years ago. After nearly being killed a few times by stupid drivers and having beer cans and various other items thrown at me from moving cars, nearly running over a rattle snake once and being chased by a relentless pit bull, I decided (read, my wife decided) that it just was not worth it.

Congrats!

i know the feeling. i am only 34 but i had cataract surgery about 4 years ago. it was a side effect of cancer treatments (radiation, chemo, ect.. for Hodgkins Lymphoma) i had when i was about 26. i have never had to wear glasses in my entire life, but i had to wear sun glasses all the time due to the light bouncing around my eyes off that cloudy haze.

did you get one lens for close distance and one lens for far distance so you don't need reading glasses ever? or did you get both for distance? my left eye is focused for close and my right eye is focused for distance.
I got both for distance. I really don't mind reading glasses. Actually I only need readers for anything closer than 18 inches. I am on my laptop now and it is sitting on my knees on the couch without readers.

Welcome and I hope you take interest in the Xmetal line. Or in medusa for motorcycles.;)

That's great that you're able to wear sunglasses again. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Latest Posts

Back