• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I am looking to purchase a snowboard please help

greg

Oakley Expert
Philadelphia
Hey guys, I love snowboarding but basically I dont have any idea about snowboards. Typically I just go to my local ski slope about an hour away and just rent. I would really like to purchase my own specifically a burton but I have no idea what the difference is between flying v or a twin board. Can anyone help me out with the purchase what should be looking to get?

For skill level - I would say an intermediate. No where near a pro but I do snowboard often and I am hoping to do some traveling with the board. I am not into terrain parks or anything like that.

I can highly recommend the Burton Custom X. I have been using mine for 7 years and have no desire the replace it.

I have ridden several Burtons through the years and absolutely love them. I still use an old Omen as my powder board, but haven't ridden the two you are deciding between. The main difference is the shape of the board and the technology used in their construction. The Flying V technology is geared more toward all around riding and is more forgiving because of its crazy shape. It makes for easier transitions, but does not have the pop of the custom twin. I also ride a Lib Tech board and it has become my go to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ology/&usg=AFQjCNHE8kaLzoKiHcawwWu9h-wTQNKXXQ

They have lots of different shapes as well with varying levels of camber/rocker technology. They also have magnetraction which is a wave like edge on the board that creates more points of contact and holds a better edge in most conditions. There are a ton of different boards and tech out there and I would recommend going with something that has at least some of the camber/rocker technology as it makes quite a difference. My personal favorite is the Skunk Ape, it has a good mix of technology and is comfortable for larger guys. Toe drag sucks...

I've ridden my fair share of boards but do agree with above statements... but, think of your "joy" when riding and look for a board designed for that. Personally I have become a fair weather pow surfer and have an arbor abacus that has a pintail and wide nose, designed to float in the deep stuff. It made me biff when I was riding switch on a groomer day, but otherwise super stable on groomers going really fast in the right direction. Get a longer all mountain board like the custom x or a similar arbor/Palmer board and you can't go wrong if you just like cruising the blues.

Latest Posts

Back