• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Am *NOT* Happy With Oakley Right Now....advice?

James Elmore

Oakley Beginner
I'm going to give you the whole story. If you have any advice on how I should proceed from here, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to call them up demanding a bunch of stuff - I just want to see them make a sincere effort on their own to make it right. I was told many times during this debacle about how great Oakley customer service is, and so far, it is not great at all.

So back around the beginning of March, I went to my local store to order new prescription lenses for my second generation straight jacket frames, which I loved dearly. As they were older frames, I was told they had to be mailed to Oakley to make sure they fit. Not a problem - we did the same thing three years ago, and we had no issues.

A month passes by. After MANY phone calls, my eye care place finally gets an Oakley manager on the phone, who tells him that my frames are "lost." Oakley signed for the package, so we know the frames got there. The lenses they made are still sitting in the tray with the job, but the frames are gone and have been missing for weeks. No one bothered to call my eye care place or me. I'm really upset - I loved those frames. The look, the fit, everything. There was nothing wrong with the frames other than needing new socks.

Now, I personally don't believe my frames were lost. Given that I've seen those exact frames selling for a fair bit of money on eBay, I'm willing to bet someone took them for their own use or to sell and make a quick buck. But I'm going to not address that point any more - I'll give Oakley employees the benefit of the doubt.

So, Oakley agrees to comp me a new set of glasses. They agree to rush the job and overnight it. Four days later, *NOT* overnight, I finally get the frames I picked out, the newest straight jacket frames. I'm pretty unhappy for a few reasons.

First, I feel cheated because the old frames cost me more money than the new frames. Not a lot more, I think the price difference was about $75 or so. Maybe a bit more. So I feel like I've been cheated there. Sure, I could have picked out $400 frames, but I really didn't like anything they had to offer as far as look and fit. And although the newest straight jackets don't quite look like the second generation ones, they are they closest thing that Oakley offers to what I had.

Second, I feel like I settled. I like my new ones OK, but I don't love them the way I did my old ones.

Third, Oakley did nothing to try and apologize at all. Hell, I would have been very satisfied if they had even stuck a post-it note in the box that said "Sorry!" But I didn't get that at all. No apology, no offer to settle up monetarily for the difference in cost, no swag thrown in, nothing. Even the box they shipped my new glasses in was used, beat up, and held together by scotch tape. They couldn't even be bothered to send a new box? (They did ship them in the protective cloth covering and the hard oval shaped case though.)

Anyway, I wrote them a polite letter telling them how disappointed I am overall, and mailed it off about a week ago. Today, I get a short email, not a letter, but an email, that said in general: I agree that we could have made a better effort to communicate with you and your eye care place, I understand your frustration, and please call us at the generic 800 number if we can help.

The email was signed "Bob." No last name, no title, no phone number besides the generic 800 number. So how the hell do I talk to this "Bob" character? Jeez.

I am EXTREMELY pissed at this point. What kind of half assed customer service is this?

Like I said, I just want to see Oakley try to make this right on their own. That's all. I don't want to ask for the money difference, or anything like that. If they want to offer it, fine. I just want a sincere apology from someone.

When I'm ready for new glasses in a few years, I don't think Oakley will have my business. Which is a shame.

I have to admit....I have heard my share of nightmare stories but most of the time the good stories are usually the ones I believe are remembered when it comes to the customer service.
It is few and far in between I know when it comes to stuff like this happening but still I know things do happen. I can bet your box is sitting on a shelf somewhere right now and it's getting overlooked.
What I'm surprised about is the whole nonchalantness of how you state they handled the situation. I would believe it could have definitely been handled better than that. Did you manage to get a supervisor/manager on the phone at the time to be able to explain what those frames meant to you? I think if you didn't convey how important they were to you they could have felt maybe, just maybe you would be one of those people who would be happier with a brand new pair.

Also, with the letter that you sent I can't believe the reply that you got, not that I don't believe you but I just can't believe that is the reply that they did give to you.

I think you need to give a call to someone to truly explain what your frames meant to you and let them know that you are actually hurt by the insensitivity of the customer service you had received and that you had thought Oakley was better than that.

I hope that this story has a better ending than what it is now and if it does I hope you let us know.

I feel your frustration I used to have great service all the time now it is hit or miss. I dong know what i can add without beating a dead horse as they say here. Oakley is not same company but i do love my new IH flaks first purchase in long time i love. Wish i hAd better ideas. I cAn see how they could drive long time customers away which is sad. I no longer even go to local Vaults The thrill is gone Good luck and sorry for your experience.

At this point I think your chances for a "sincere" apology are nil. You could call the 800 number and ask for Bob (if it were me while talking to him I'd keep imagining he looked like display-case Bob) and maybe you'll get a further response and maybe some other token, but that's all it'll be, token. Sorry.

I'm sorry to hear that I had a similar problem with customer service and my eye doctor, I lost a 1st gen Juliet's, but in fairness I got a brand new replacement pair for free, but I still felt the loss. You shouldn't expect Oakley to send you swag, they sell all their swag ;)

I've been on both sides. I would email and see what happens. The area director took care of me and then some!

Sure, I could have picked out $400 frames, but I really didn't like anything they had to offer as far as look and fit. And although the newest straight jackets don't quite look like the second generation ones, they are they closest thing that Oakley offers to what I had. Second, I feel like I settled. I like my new ones OK, but I don't love them the way I did my old ones.

Third, Oakley did nothing to try and apologize at all. Hell, I would have been very satisfied if they had even stuck a post-it note in the box that said "Sorry!" But I didn't get that at all. No apology, no offer to settle up monetarily for the difference in cost, no swag thrown in, nothing.Even the box they shipped my new glasses in was used, beat up, and held together by scotch tape. They couldn't even be bothered to send a new box? (They did ship them in the protective cloth covering and the hard oval shaped case though.) Anyway, I wrote them a polite letter telling them how disappointed I am overall, and mailed it off about a week ago. Today, I get a short email, not a letter, but an email, that said in general: I agree that we could have made a better effort to communicate with you and your eye care place, I understand your frustration, and please call us at the generic 800 number if we can help.

I think the bold'd half is an each-to-their own, make-or-break in regards to building satisfaction/dissatisfaction. I would've gunned for the most expensive that fit. I'd call it a pleasing settlement, albeit still a settlement.

The box part is another thing that could go either way. The beating could've been done by the shipping company, but don't know what to say about the scotch tape. That's just...wrong. Never had it happen to me though as far as ordering from Oakley.

I think the expectation of apology is fair in an ethical sense, but at the same time I just wouldn't expect it, let alone from higher management. Bigger companies are just like that for the most part. Leaving the 800 number is CS's typical routine in e-mails, and when I've communicated with them with questions they always give straight answers. I assume the protocol is to do so, and not go overly wordy which could potentially screw them over.

Thanks to everyone who replied. There were some good words of wisdom. I guess I just needed to vent to people who would get it. As most of us know, they aren't just glasses. I don't get hung up on material things usually. We live off of one small income, live in a very modest house, and drive an 11 year old car. The glasses were one of my few splurges I make from time to time to reward myself for quitting smoking four years ago.

I may call just to let them know how disappointed I am. As someone else here said, it was all very nonchalant on their end.

To "pistolpetefan23" - Yes, I still think it is possible they could have been stolen. The value isn't what would have made that happen, it is the fact that they don't make them any more. If someone there loves those like I did, then it isn't out of bounds to think that it could have happened. People don't just steal for money, people steal things they want. And it certainly isn't that "nothing" satisfies me. Beyond replacing the lost frames, which is the right thing to do here, they made zero effort to make it right. Like I said, I would have been happy with a simple note.

They made a mistake, they admitted it, they expressed empathy, they rectified the situation. It's unfortunate but it happens. They addressed it and fixed it to the best of their abilities. That's all you can ask of a company; when they make a mistake, they fix it. It's hard to get many companies to even do that.

Yet you continue to trot out the conspiracy theory that an employee stole them. That's not right.

Back