• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Dissected My Gearboxes! Risky N Crazy =D

That's what popped out of my gearbox ages ago! The end to the left was the issue.

Also, Wished you had taken more pics of the carbon fiber dial.

Heres 1 close up shot of the carbon fiber dial. you can see the weaving detail.
15534595021_6c5f520cd8_o.jpg

Haha if only so, however its not possible because the dial is one whole piece with the movement assembly, and theres only 1 opening where the crown would go in to adjust the time, which is the 9 o clock position

Perhaps you're right; I certainly haven't taken apart a gearbox...

But I'd really be surprised if the face of the dial is all one piece with that black housing surrounding the movement. I guess it could be but it'd make much better sense to design a single housing that can be fitted with multiple dial faces... The question would be how they bond them i.e. is it some sort of glue, some kind of interlock, both, neither... to find out you'd have to pull off the hands (there's a tool for that) and remove the movement from the housing and examine...

Doesn't matter anyway because the whole idea was a joke, somebody would have to be "crazy" to actually try it...:D:D:D

Perhaps you're right; I certainly haven't taken apart a gearbox...

But I'd really be surprised if the face of the dial is all one piece with that black housing surrounding the movement. I guess it could be but it'd make much better sense to design a single housing that can be fitted with multiple dial faces... The question would be how they bond them i.e. is it some sort of glue, some kind of interlock, both, neither... to find out you'd have to pull off the hands (there's a tool for that) and remove the movement from the housing and examine...

Doesn't matter anyway because the whole idea was a joke, somebody would have to be "crazy" to actually try it...:D:D:D

Oh I know what your saying. Yeah I did not nor ever will attempt to take off the hands and remove the dial face at least for this watch. I think my heart would stop if I break something!

The housing is a movement spacer to allow for a variety of case sizes without amending the movement.

The dial reverse usually has a number of pins that mate with holes on the movement's top plate. I'd be surprised if dial and movement were a single unit but I totally understand the reticence to prise them apart to check! Dial and movement are often from different suppliers.

Last edited:
The housing is a movement spacer to allow for a variety of case sizes without amending the movement.

The dial reverse usually has a number of pins that mate with holes on the movement's top late. I'd be surprised if dial and movement were a single unit but I totally understand the reticence to prise them apart to check! Dial and movement are often from different suppliers.

Would you speculate that the pins are in a pattern that only allows "proper" alignment or something uniform that could allow the face to be installed upside down?

I would be way more keen on a gearbox if the crown was at the traditional 3 oclock position something seems to bother me when I try the watch on about it being on the other side.

Interesting coincidence - when I got to the office this morning there was some dude I didn't recognize wearing a gearbox, not the first time I've seen one but the first time I've seen one being worn "in the wild". Turns out he's from our Canada office and I've had some electronic comm with him before but had never met him...

Anyway, he wasn't too thrilled with it, was a gift from his wife. He said that after the first year he had a problem with it, the crown would no longer lock down and he couldn't set the time. He sent it to Oakley Canada for repair and suspects they sent him a different, refurbished watch back, not his original one, but they didn't say either way.

But it's not his only watch and he's still wearing it so he must like it some bit...

It is his only Oakley watch but he has some Oak sunnies, too. He didn't really recall the frame names so I would call his enthusiasm lukewarm at best.

Sorry this post is not really on topic but kinda related and, like I said, an interesting coincidence... :D

Latest Posts

Back