• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Hate Luxottica Post

Simple answer. The same model that allows capitalism to exist is the same that affords the citizens protection from antitrust and monopolies.
Foxconn and Lux arent the same. but its an example of Main Stream Media picking up a story, with the sole intent of creating dissent. I do remember internet buzz about Foxconn. Of course. I dont remember a 60 minutes 15 minute segment about it. And still Im surte the number of people who wont buy an iThingy or foxconn made device are way higher than the 200 or so Anti-Oakley advocates that have surfaced this week.

EDIT: "Capitalism" There will always be a moment in time where the system doesnt work. But in the long run, capitalism works because the consumer will buy the best product for the best price.

Im not really arguing a point about Lux. just pointing out the spike in interest because of MSM. This is 5 yr+ old news but only makes waves when a story airs.
I cant defend Lux's business practices other than if it was in the USA, they NEVER would have got this far. My contradictions are more observation than argument

Well we certainly don't live in a perfect world and I doubt anyone can show me a system that is perfect. Mother Nature maybe....The correct term for that is "utopia" and that's for little kids and progressives, I know I made someone mad with that comment..lol

^Right, international biz is a new form of globalization that has many people wondering the outcome, we live in a new time where these discussions are the fore-front of whats actually happening.

I started this thread because I know the truth behind the eyes of that innocent looking CEO. He is a shark, a predator and you dont become CEO or captain of industry by being nice. He is more ruthless than people on here would even dare to think and at the end of his day he is twiddling his thumbs like Mr Burns...

"Excellent"....hmhmhhaaaa

the only thing bigger than his ego is his paycheck. Now I dont think anyone is going to argue that point

Right. If this were a situation where pure capitalism existed, there wouldn't be a need for government intervention as everyone would be on a level playing field with perfect information and perfect competition. But the reality is, corporations will always try to cheat to gain an upper hand and while we may believe in capitalism, the rest of the world may not.

How many here are in the market for a new pair of shades...
Im not looking for Versaces or Gas station glasses. Just Oakleys. how about you?
Although Oakley probably has to answer to well researched, and highly paid think tanks, I believe they are still holding true to their mission.
Oakley prices havent really changed vs inflation (inflated cost of living) since inception.
I dont think its cheating. Corporations are just looking for advantages. Lux is operating out of the US. Just like Foxconn.

I dont think its cheating. Corporations are just looking for advantages. Lux is operating out of the US. Just like Foxconn.
Still not sure why the comparison between Lux and Foxconn keeps coming up. They're totally different situations. I can see your point about the media bringing them up but how does that apply to corporations seeking advantages? I never said Oakley was cheating. In fact, I feel they were cheated by Lux based on the various sources of information we have heard/seen.

As for corporations not cheating, I think history speaks for itself on the numerous companies that used questionable tactics to gain an advantage.

I have no doubt that Oakley will produce some winners, they could comeback stronger than ever, you never know???:smile: I personally hope they do......but...... what else I know......the world is filled with people who would whore the company into the next world by squeezing every last nickle to keep their yacht sailing..... Personally, if had no love for the stuff I would chop it to bits and act like I was doing them a favor while doing it....Then, I would brag about how I took down an American corporation while sipping my Brandi and smoking cigars on the Italian Rivera with my supermodel girlfriends. There is a line to the moon and back of people who would do the same, even the biggest Oakley fans around.

As for corporations not cheating, I think history speaks for itself on the numerous companies that used questionable tactics to gain an advantage.

Or government mandates to banks that forced loans to people who could not afford them, that's why governments need to play fair as well.

The whole interview with the head guy at Luxottica rubbed me the wrong way too.. I know that's pretty much how they were trying to make it look but he seems awfully douchey.
Luxottica bought the Sunglass Hut..and after doing so he explained that they had a "pricing dispute" with Oakley.. so they pulled Oakley from their store and convinced them that it would be better for them to "do business together" after Oakley started stuggling. Even Stahl said "so you basically bullied them and you wanted to buy them out".. His reply again "I would say we convinced them to work with us".

No wonder Jannard got the hell out.

Back