• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I have a question :D

Lol @ body parts :shock:

Okay....I just wondered...if they actually preferred that bit of storage...or would prefer that part also plexi....for more display space...guess it probably depends on the person...
I'd assume if you have a big enough collection to justify a case you would probably appreciate the bottom storage space to keep all the other stuff away from children and the like and out of harms way.

I'd assume if you have a big enough collection to justify a case you would probably appreciate the bottom storage space to keep all the other stuff away from children and the like and out of harms way.

Indeed....I can understand that...

But what about someone who has say a very large collection...which a few people here have...because of the limited display space in these type of cabinets...they would probably need more than one...whereas if they were all display and not half and half...they wouldn't need to splash out on another one so soon?

Or would people like that just wait until one comes up for sale that is all display and no storage?..

Just curious...

C.

Indeed....I can understand that...

But what about someone who has say a very large collection...which a few people here have...because of the limited display space in these type of cabinets...they would probably need more than one...whereas if they were all display and not half and half...they wouldn't need to splash out on another one so soon?

Or would people like that just wait until one comes up for sale that is all display and no storage...

Just curious...

C.
Most of those people have double or triple wide cases and even multiples of them. Then other people like @OakleyFrankFMJ have collections too massive or expensive to display at all.

Most of those people have double or triple wide cases and even multiples of them. Then other people like @OakleyFrankFMJ have collections too massive or expensive to display at all.

Yes...I believe that the people with large collections do prefer the wider variety...which don't come on the market that often...

Can you explain what you mean by too expensive to display? Even in a locked case? I would have thought that anyone having something so expensive would still want to show it off...or wear it...

C.

Worth mentioning- One of our long time but now retired members brought over a dozen cases with him to an event hosted by the founder of Oakley. It still wasn't enough to display his whole collection and he didn't bring everything he has...

Yes...I believe that the people with large collections do prefer the wider variety...which don't come on the market that often...

Can you explain what you mean by too expensive to display? Even in a locked case? I would have thought that anyone having something so expensive would still want to show it off...or wear it...

C.
There are people here with 1 of 1 Oakley prototypes, x-metal pairs that when put together in one case would be thousands of dollars on display, and even Oakley glasses/watches that retailed for several thousand dollars a piece.

Putting those items on display in your home is a huge target for a would be thief, and easy pickings for a thief who just happened to pick your house to burglarize.

As I'm sure you've seen the construction on the display portion of the case could easily be broken into by someone in a hurry to take what they can and run. Like it or not, a display case is a target.

There are people here with 1 of 1 Oakley prototypes, x-metal pairs that when put together in one case would be thousands of dollars on display, and even Oakley glasses/watches that retailed for several thousand dollars a piece.

Putting those items on display in your home is a huge target for a would be thief, and easy pickings for a thief who just happened to pick your house to burglarize.

As I'm sure you've seen the construction on the display portion of the case could easily be broken into by someone in a hurry to take what they can and run. Like it or not, a display case is a target.

Really good point actually....so would a built in alarm be a worthy modification on these cases?

C.

Really good point actually....so would a built in alarm be a worthy modification on these cases?

C.
I guess, but my earlier point still remains. With little effort I could break into a case, grab what I wanted, and be gone before anyone was there to stop me. If I didn't know the case had an alarm though I'm sure it'd at least make me pause for a second or two.

Yes...another good point...my initial thought was a battery operated keypad alarm...then after reading your reply here...what if it could be linked into someone's house alarm system....and I guess house contents insurance doesn't even come into it..as some of these collections could probably never be replaced...another point actually....I wonder how many people make their insurance companies aware that they have an expensive collection...there are usually limits on how much you can claim for expensive ind items...unless you disclose to them that you have them in your house...

C.

Latest Posts

Back