• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I have a question :D

Yes...another good point...my initial thought was a battery operated keypad alarm...then after reading your reply here...what if it could be linked into someone's house alarm system....and I guess house contents insurance doesn't even come into it..as some of these collections could probably never be replaced...another point actually....I wonder how many people make their insurance companies aware that they have an expensive collection...there are usually limits on how much you can claim for expensive ind items...unless you disclose to them that you have them in your house...

C.
Several members here have insured their collections.

To add to this, most people here have their glasses in a display case because it makes it easier to choose a pair to wear- grab and go. Its ease of access to multiple pairs and the doors are opened and closed regularly. I'd imagine for some members here that probably occurs several times a day. At all the Oakley stores and vaults I've been to the doors stay open all day usually and get locked up at night. Smaller retailers tend to leave theirs closed until someone asks to see a pair to avoid theft.

Actually, having the doors in the cabinets open in O Stores and Vaults is a fairly recent thing, maybe a few years. It use to be all the cabinets were locked all the time. But as was previously mentioned with the security tags on the glasses that is not much of an issue now. I also remember most double wide cabinets ( the older aluminum ones) had the side plexiglass replaced with mirrors.

Yes...I believe that the people with large collections do prefer the wider variety...which don't come on the market that often...

Can you explain what you mean by too expensive to display? Even in a locked case? I would have thought that anyone having something so expensive would still want to show it off...or wear it...

C.

Hello Catherine.

I have been looking at all of your activity with some interest the past few days. It's been interesting to say the least.

But this comment is in relation to "expensive".

Here is an example. I have a few pairs of 1 style of sunglass that retailed at $4,000 each pair and are now no longer made. If you can find them anywhere you would likely pay $8,000 for one pair.

I have a few watches that retailed at $9,000 a piece. No longer made.

I also have items that would squeeze into a single wide cabinet that say could be valued at well over $100,000-$200,000 easily.

Hello Catherine.

I have been looking at all of your activity with some interest the past few days. It's been interesting to say the least.

Here is an example. I have a few pairs of 1 style of sunglass that retailed at $4,000 each pair and are now no longer made. If you can find them anywhere you would likely pay $8,000 for one pair.

I also have items that would squeeze into a single wide cabinet that say could be valued at well over $100,000-$200,000 easily.
And this is why case= target.

Hello Catherine.

Hi there...

Oh yes...I have been having a very interesting time around here :D

Wow....that is some collection...so would you consider anything that is original Oakley that is no longer made...to be rare?including display cases of course...

So given that you have obviously a very valuable collection....how do you ensure its security? ( without giving too much away for obvious reasons) And also...given that some of the pieces individually are very expensive...is there anything you do in terms of taking care of your collection? For example...do you clean them a certain way...store them a certain way?....just interested...i assume you probably do display some...how do you keep the inside of your cases and the contents clean and dust free etc? If you don't mind me asking...

C.

Hi there...

Oh yes...I have been having a very interesting time around here :D

Wow....that is some collection...so would you consider anything that is original Oakley that is no longer made...to be rare?including display cases of course...

So given that you have obviously a very valuable collection....how do you ensure its security? ( without giving too much away for obvious reasons) And also...given that some of the pieces individually are very expensive...is there anything you do in terms of taking care of your collection? For example...do you clean them a certain way...store them a certain way?....just interested...i assume you probably do display some...how do you keep the inside of your cases and the contents clean and dust free etc? If you don't mind me asking...

C.
You know the way they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Well, rare is something one person can think is and another can think isn't.

Oakley could have made 300,000 pairs of one single style of sunglass and discontinued it. Does that make it rare now since it's no longer made? No.
When there are only 100 pieces of an item produced that would qualify as rare in my opinion.
When there are 1 of a kind items made by Oakley that would qualify as rare in my opinion.

There are certain display cases that can qualify as rare. Those cases are beautiful in design without modification.
Speaking of display cases. My display cases already have a mirror on them done straight from the factory. They are genuine Oakley cases.

With regards to my collection and ensuring its security. The majority is offsite and stored securely.

The portion of my collection that is in the home. Ensuring its security is done by a security system. Motion sensors. Camera video monitoring and recording everywhere interior and exterior. You cannot get near my home or anywhere inside it without being recorded. Then there's the security system. Let's say I don't have to worry about anyone getting near my home without me knowing at all.

Collection/cleaning. I keep a clean home to begin with. I'm told it's more like a museum.
I'm looking at a display case right now that has had items in it for a long time and has never been opened since. It's dust free. It's not the only one.
I make sure to change the filters in my HVAC system regularly before they get too dirty.

Also. I hate typing long posts. You're lucky.

Latest Posts

Back