• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Learned Something New Today at the O-Store (w/pics)

rml0015

Oakley Beginner
Auburn
Hi all,

I went to my closest 3 Oakley Vaults today in the Tampa area. I was looking for the Sapphire Iridium XL Polarized for my Flak 2.0. It has been my favorite lense by far. So the first 2 didn't have them in stock, which I find odd but anyhow. I go to the third and all they have is the standard shape not the XL and an employee goes to check for a pre-built pair in the back.

He comes back with a pair of the Flak blue fade collection glasses and tells me to try the am see what I think. I'm not a fan of the frame. So he just pops the lenses out and says he can sell those to me without the frame. All these years I had no idea that they would do that. How was I out of the loop for so long?

So now I have a steel frame Flak 2.0 with the Prizm Sapphire Iridium Polarized XL lense. Which I love the look of with some navy earsocks.

flak.jpg
flak2.jpg

I bought a pair of BIP lenses, for my gas cans, about a month later, they started peeling. No one had any BIP lenses locally, so the vault went and took some out of a pre-built pair for me, and traded them to me. Maybe the vault employees aren't trained on the rules, but the two other O store (not vaults) wouldn't do that. The vault is the further of any store, from my home, but I go to that one primarily now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while sitting on the toilet

Hi all,

I went to my closest 3 Oakley Vaults today in the Tampa area. I was looking for the Sapphire Iridium XL Polarized for my Flak 2.0. It has been my favorite lense by far. So the first 2 didn't have them in stock, which I find odd but anyhow. I go to the third and all they have is the standard shape not the XL and an employee goes to check for a pre-built pair in the back.

He comes back with a pair of the Flak blue fade collection glasses and tells me to try the am see what I think. I'm not a fan of the frame. So he just pops the lenses out and says he can sell those to me without the frame. All these years I had no idea that they would do that. How was I out of the loop for so long?

So now I have a steel frame Flak 2.0 with the Prizm Sapphire Iridium Polarized XL lense. Which I love the look of with some navy earsocks.

View attachment 369578 View attachment 369579
That is very good customer service!

Yeah they're not supposed to do that but vaults usually have better customer service about stuff like that. Good deal!

Looks great....always fun to mix and match.
Nothing beats playing Dr. Frankenstein with lenses and earsocks.

I did a similar thing, but with Deep Water Prizm. It's odd that they never paired the blue lens with the steel/lead frames. Nice pickup.

I think different stores just appreciate their "frequent customers", which is nice? I went in after a month of receiving a custom built Flak 2.0. The Road Prizm lens I bought with it seemed a bit loose, so I took it in and they replaced it on the spot with a new set.

Flak.jpg

how can some lenses be loose in frame?

The tolerances in production aren't extremely tight so there will be slight variances in both lens and frame sizes.. If you then get a smallish lens in a largish frame it will be a bit loose..

The tolerances in production aren't extremely tight so there will be slight variances in both lens and frame sizes.. If you then get a smallish lens in a largish frame it will be a bit loose..
Thanks for the info. Has it always been like that, or does it happen more frequently now?