• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Need An Opinion From You Oakley Savvy Guys About A Jupiter Ducati

Antoniomike7

Oakley Beginner
Not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, if not, excuse me. So here's the deal, I have a pair of Oakley Jupiter Ducati Nicky Hayden series, from what I've read, with Plutonite, Black Iridium coated lenses. I handed them to a friend of mine to hold on to them for a while, and he puts them inside a bag with a variety of sharp objects, without its bag. Next thing I know, my left lens has a few scratches in the middle (not sure if they are really deep or not), they are big/deep enough to create a tiny haze in my vision, which bugs the crap out of me. Is it repairable? I really didn't want to change the lens because of the Ducati logo, and more importantly, I do not have the sufficient provisions to spend in new lenses. If so, can you indicate some ways to repair it? Help me guys :c Thanks in advance.

Is it repairable?
Unfortunately it is not.

If you really want to save the Ducati logo you can give Oakley's warranty department a call and see if you can get a new lens with the correct etching. It might still cost you, and it's certainly not covered by warranty.

The other option is to buy new lenses. I'm sorry to hear that you likely can't afford this. Perhaps a used set is within your reach - stay around the forum until you reach access to the exchange areas, then post a thread looking to buy Jupiter lenses. The cost would be far less than new, and probably not far from new in condition.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but once the iridium coating is scratched it is done and cannot be repaired.

Also, the Nicky Hayden Jupiter has his signature etched in the bottom of the left lens. The Ducati Jupiter has Ducati etched in the lens.

Unfortunately it is not.

If you really want to save the Ducati logo you can give Oakley's warranty department a call and see if you can get a new lens with the correct etching. It might still cost you, and it's certainly not covered by warranty.

The other option is to buy new lenses. I'm sorry to hear that you likely can't afford this. Perhaps a used set is within your reach - stay around the forum until you reach access to the exchange areas, then post a thread looking to buy Jupiter lenses. The cost would be far less than new, and probably not far from new in condition.

Best of luck to you.
Not trying to be annoying but what is the cause for it not being repairable? Even if you try some home remedies like the toothpaste trick or something it won't work? What exactly happens when they are buffed out that way? (as you can tell, I'm in the depths of desperation, I really like those glasses and that tiny flaw makes my inner OCD light like a Christmas tree) :\

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but once the iridium coating is scratched it is done and cannot be repaired.

Also, the Nicky Hayden Jupiter has his signature etched in the bottom of the left lens. The Ducati Jupiter has Ducati etched in the lens.
You are absolutely correct, I apologize for my mistake, since I'm not that much of an expert I thought they were the same. Mines are the normal Ducati logo

Not trying to be annoying but what is the cause for it not being repairable? Even if you try some home remedies like the toothpaste trick or something it won't work? What exactly happens when they are buffed out that way? (as you can tell, I'm in the depths of desperation, I really like those glasses and that tiny flaw makes my inner OCD light like a Christmas tree) :\
You will dull the metal coating and cloud your entire vision.

You can soak the lenses in alcohol to remove the top coating layers, but you'd be left with a lighter color and possibly still have a scratched lens if the scratches are deeper than the iridium layer.

You will dull the metal coating and cloud your entire vision.

You can soak the lenses in alcohol to remove the top coating layers, but you'd be left with a lighter color and possibly still have a scratched lens if the scratches are deeper than the iridium layer.
Damn :\ So it's hopeless. I'd rather stick with the tiny scratches instead of a giant blur..

Latest Posts

Back