• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I need help picking my first Oakley!!

VictorNguyen

Oakley Beginner
I am just so confused by all the options. The flak jackets have really peaked my interest. What do you guys recommend? also I'm thinking of getting one more Oakley as a prescription sunglasses.

• IF you like the look of Flak Jackets, I can tell you they are really well liked and super comfy.

Flak 2.0's are probably the most versatile aesthetically and functionally right now. Price-wise it's probably the friendliest investment too.

Iridium refers to the mirror finish, which would be applicable to majority of the lenses.

Prizm is Oakley's new investment into fine-tuning tints. The lens titles are very self-explanatory (Road, Baseball, Daily, etc). Cost a bit more than the regular Iridiums, and very purpose-oriented. Like, the amount of Iridium is specific to each version, and there's clearly zero regard to "hiding" the wearer's eyes — it's a thing with Oakley enthusiasts because they're creepy. Wait until you get to know people here.

Polarized is referring to an added polarized filter. Short way to put it is it aids in handling glare where light is reflected. Usually this option has a big upcharge. Some people absolutely need this, some don't.

Transitions refers to a progressive dimming feature against sun exposure. Not many lenses/tints have this as an option and commands a premium like Polarized.

But what lens should a new wearer pick? Go off experience if you had other sunglasses. I personally started with Oakley using Ice Iridium. What's nice about Black and Ice is the true color definition is very apparent. Very rarely do I run a contrast tint.

Common neutral tints (usually with subtle warmth differences): Black, Ice, Jade, +Red, Grey, and I guess now Sapphire
Common contrast and low-light tints: G30, VR28, VR50, H.I Yellow, Persimmon

There's Fire and Violet. They're really in between the two categories and have largely differing opinions. Definitely get into an Oakley store or SGH and try stuff on.

Thanks for your reply Ventruck. So I guess I'll pick the flak 2.0 and then all I really have to do is learn the lenses. Are there resources out there from Oakley that explain all the different lenses?

The flak 2.0 are great. the fell real nice and are light. They are going to be my next pair. but wish you could custom make them with the prizm lenses.

Latest Posts

Back