• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Too Have A Plan

THE X-MAN

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
ILLINOIS
what if i set up shop and refinished the x metal frames,either polish or beadblast,for those frames that oakley wont fix or are just beat up.refinishimg would make them look new again ,also im working on a diesetter that would tighten the rivits on juliets.now i cant get the rubber flexors but squeezing the rivits would tighten everything up.ill post some good up close pics and show what this perticular grit of sandblasting would look like.anyone have pics of juliets completly dissassembled?

sounds interesting, to do custom repairs and refinishing.

Will depend on the quality of work and the price, but a good niche market for you.

i think it squashes them and makes em fatter, thus fitting tighter in the frame. sounds like if anything it'll wear out the actual frame and enlarge the rivet hole prematurely. simply replacing flex couplers will avoid all that unnecessary metalwork.

IMAG0343.jpg
I think what happens is the rivits (which i believe are stainless) loosen up with movement over time.a slight press would expand them just enough to tighten them up.this is what im thinking,a pair of vise grips with a concave punch and a flat on the other side,you can controll the pressure and not mark the rivit.we use this method in aviation all the time.you wont wear out or enlarge the frames,that titanium is incredible stuff.when i bead blast them the sparks comming off are a brilliant white.with different grits youll get a different finish.either a dark grey or a satin finish.polishing titanium however is a real bitch.ill ask someone in good faith to send me a pair of beat up frames and ill do the tightening and beadblasting for free just to get my name out there.

regardin the rivets, the design of the xmetal
series is that the rubber flex couplers is what makes the nosebridge tight, not the tightness of the rivets.

the surfacing idea is cool though, and i'd love to get a pair done in xmetal

really wish someone out ther had a dissassembled pair so i can see what these flex couplers looked like,its gotta be some kind of rubber washer.either way,i wonder how jces12 juliets got so messed up.ill try his pair and see what he thinks.

Back