• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Too Have A Plan

The more I look at mine, I think they were sat on. One of the lenses has hundreds of really faint spider lines all over it.

mark2112 said:
really wish someone out ther had a dissassembled pair so i can see what these flex couplers looked like,its gotta be some kind of rubber washer.either way,i wonder how jces12 juliets got so messed up.ill try his pair and see what he thinks.

b4b91996.jpg

ffe37e5d.jpg

d6f6939a.jpg

Hey qtrain,
i dont know where on this earth you came from but i gotta say you are the "bomb".this is exactly what i needed to see.thank you so much.i think that jces12s tabs on one of the lens frames are bent.i think i can repair them and refinish too.any idea of the rivit diameter or material???

Hey qtrain,
i dont know where on this earth you came from but i gotta say you are the "bomb".this is exactly what i needed to see.thank you so much.i think that jces12s tabs on one of the lens frames are bent.i think i can repair them and refinish too.any idea of the rivit diameter or material???

Leonore/Lostant, IL

Near Starved Rock.

rivets are 0.080" if i remember correctly.

o.k so jces12 is gonna send them to me,ill take pics along the way and try and do a step by step repair.if he likes em ill do more for other people.for all you x-metal heads out there i need your help comming up with a fair price on repair and refinish.lets get this pair out first and well go from there.

I'm curious about this as well. I have just had a couple of units tuned up by Oakley. One (polished frame) still has the right orbital loose, with the left tight as can be. The other pair(X metal) both sides are equal in flex, I have worn them for years. I was hoping that the tune up would have tightened them up better.

The one thing I was wondering about the material is whether it can be soldered. I was looking through the threads to find out about any possiblities. I was thinking that if the mount holes in the orbitals could have some material replaced and redrilled. It would help to tighten up the flex of the orbital. I have had some solder in the past that would adhere to any material. It would also get harder once it would set. Or even brazing it with some different type brazing rod material.

Qtrain23; Are the flex couplers made of the same unobtainium earsock material or something else?

I'm curious about this as well. I have just had a couple of units tuned up by Oakley. One (polished frame) still has the right orbital loose, with the left tight as can be. The other pair(X metal) both sides are equal in flex, I have worn them for years. I was hoping that the tune up would have tightened them up better.

The one thing I was wondering about the material is whether it can be soldered. I was looking through the threads to find out about any possiblities. I was thinking that if the mount holes in the orbitals could have some material replaced and redrilled. It would help to tighten up the flex of the orbital. I have had some solder in the past that would adhere to any material. It would also get harder once it would set. Or even brazing it with some different type brazing rod material.

Qtrain23; Are the flex couplers made of the same unobtainium earsock material or something else?

you are correct in that the problem is that the holes get worn and no matter what you seem to do, they stay loose. only option is to change the nosebridge. The rivets don't press into the orbitals, just the bridge, so thats the hole that would need to be redrilled.

as far as material, im not sure what they use and can't think of a way to tell

Latest Posts

Back