• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I wonder what X-Metal model I will like best?

I would consider that "fixing" them only if they were returned to their full, original functionality, i.e. the same spring hinges they were before.

What he's doing I would call modifying them to traditional-style hinges.

But it's just semantics, really... ;)
Technically it's still fixing them as they're restoring function that was otherwise unwearable. You can also consider them as an enhancement to remove an inherent design flaw. Half x 1.1 if you like! ;)

I had a handful of spare oem hinges and those were used up quick in my earlier repairs. Some broken oem hinges can be fixed and reused depending on how it's broken. Both latter scenarios yield oem spring hinges and are "repaired with genuine parts".

Technically it's still fixing them

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

With a definition of "fix" being "restore to working order", once could say you "fixed" the pair as they are now useable, "in working order". But the spring hinge itself isn't actually "fixed" if it's no longer a spring hinge; the spring function of the hinge still hasn't been "restored to working order". Instead, it's been modified, converted to a different type of hinge.

But like I said, it's just semantics; doesn't really matter as long as everybody's clear about what the results are...

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

With a definition of "fix" being "restore to working order", once could say you "fixed" the pair as they are now useable, "in working order". But the spring hinge itself isn't actually "fixed" if it's no longer a spring hinge; the spring function of the hinge still hasn't been "restored to working order". Instead, it's been modified, converted to a different type of hinge.

But like I said, it's just semantics; doesn't really matter as long as everybody's clear about what the results are...
It's like in terms of restoring cars.

Would you prefer a car fully restored to full factory OEM as the day it rolled off the assembly line?

OR

Would you rather have what we call a "restomod"? Something restored but not quite factory specs?

If you're restoring a vintage car then that OEM parts may be more important to you. However if your car had an accident and can't get you from A to B, then you may only care about repairing your car to get it functional once again. At the end it's semantics. Personally I like to call the former example as "restore" and the latter as "repair".

Well.....I got my first gen Penny with dark red OEM lenses and I have to say that they are the nicest glasses I have ever worn. They really fit well and I LOVE the fact that they have spring hinges, unlike my XS. Still waiting on my Juliets...I will be surprised if I like the Juliet better than the Penny. I'll know on Monday. As for the finish, the X-Metal finish is beautiful!!

I still like my Ti Square Wire 2.0s though....they are ever so light. I got a fresh pair of lenses in polarized ice blue...and they are stunning. :)

Well.....I got my first gen Penny with dark red OEM lenses and I have to say that they are the nicest glasses I have ever worn. They really fit well and I LOVE the fact that they have spring hinges, unlike my XS. Still waiting on my Juliets...I will be surprised if I like the Juliet better than the Penny. I'll know on Monday. As for the finish, the X-Metal finish is beautiful!!

I still like my Ti Square Wire 2.0s though....they are ever so light. I got a fresh pair of lenses in polarized ice blue...and they are stunning. :)
The penny is a fine pair of glasses man! Beautiful design! Juliets just fit me better, wish my penny got more face time

The penny is a fine pair of glasses man! Beautiful design! Juliets just fit me better, wish my penny got more face time
Remove the flex couplers and you'll be surprised a Penny can actually fit like an R1. Just limited lens coverage though :(

Remove the flex couplers and you'll be surprised a Penny can actually fit like an R1. Just limited lens coverage though :(
Now that I had never heard of! Cool! But yeah, it's a coverage problem man... Love the design of the penny (OK, let's be honest, I sort of love them all, haha)! And I'm not nearly handy enough to remove the flex couplers without causing damage. I need a nice workbench and some better tools!

or just send it to someone who would un-tune your bridge. I'd be happy to take them out for you for free and if you don't like the fit, I'll put the couplers back in also for free. It'd only cost you round-trip CONUS postage + optional insurance to send it to my parcel forwarder (i bought a lot of stuff recently so you can hitch a ride with the giant parcel).

the only reason why I said it fits like an R1 is because I actually tried it. I typically wear R1 or XS and had a penny that flopped like hell. So I thought I'll try it on... and voila it fits even without activating spring hinges! As soon as I retuned it, I can't get the darn thing anywhere near my nose.

EDIT: I've a big melon: Mars and Half-X can't fit me and Juliets have limited coverage.

Last edited:
Back