• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'd never buy 3rd Party lenses, but what about 3D?

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
It's a bit of a bug-bear of mine that Oakley only seem interested in releasing 3D optics in just the Gascan frame, as opposed to rolling out their 3D lens technology into other frames - even as a 'Replacement Lens' option to buy. The Gascan fits a bit tight on me, so it got me thinking about what the options are on the market - and it seems that inevitably leads you to the shop-window of Eyekon.

Now, anyone who has taken any notice of anything I have written, will know that I have never, and will never, entertain non-Oakley sunglass lenses - regardless of the positive or negative reviews on the forum. It's just me - I only wear Oakley. The act of even considering 3rd party lenses would pain me a little.

But, what of 3D movie lenses? I've been thinking about this, and it seems I'm quite happy to watch TV at home with Samsung's finest on my face, and I watch movies at the cinema with those ridiculous nasty specs they handed me with my ticket. So perhaps I'm not too bothered about who makes my 3D movie lenses, as long as they work.

So, that said . . . . Oakley 3D lenses in my favourite frames would be ideal, as I am sure they are superb, but as that (bizarrely) doesn't appear to be happening, has anyone had any experience of the Eyekon 3D lenses?

I'm expecting lots of "they are not as good as Oakley 3D optics" - so let's just take that as read. I can't wear Gascans - I'll have to get over it. But I am interested in the thoughts of those who have bought the 3D Eyekons or tried them.

Oh, and let's bear in mind they are currently 40USD (well, they are for the Hijinx, and let's be honest, did you expect me to check anything else?) . . . . which is a bit of a cheeky price-point, especially if they turn out to be no better than the freebies from your multiplex.

So come on, anyone tried 'em?

IMO, if you are going to spend money putting aftermarket lenses in your oakleys... Then I would just wear the cheapo 3d glasses and not even bother. My tv came with 4 pairs of 3d glasses and at the time I wanted to get Oakley 3d glasses but since the gascan isn't my ideal frame, I just wear the cheapos.

I have a slight urge to wear Hijinx in the cinema.
(You can tell I'm now running out of modding ideas can't you? haha)

Great thread. I spent time last weekend pondering the idea of trying some eyekon 3d lenses in a pair of monster pups that I don't really wear anymore.

This is true.
However, if that frame is also based on the Twitch, then that would be too small/tight for me as well. I may as well just buy the Gascan and wear full Oakley.

But, ideally, a 3d Hijinx would be the answer for me.

So are we saying that none of the OF community have tried Eyekon 3d? haha

Back