• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

If You Only Could Have...

1. Romeo 1.0 - Any
2. Eye Jacket, New - Cobalt/+Red Iridium
3. Eye Jacket, New - FMJ Red/Black Iridium
4. Eye Jacket, New - Midnight/24K Gold Iridium
5. X-Metal XX - TiO2 or 24K
6. C-Wire - Pewter/OO Red Iridium Polarized
7. Splinter - Matte Black, Midnight/Warm Grey
8. C-six - Carbon
9. X Squared - Any
10. Pitboss

Going to stay with "released" items , ranked from what I'd personally desire most in descending order if it were truly my collection-

1. Copper Penny
If this pair fit me I'd have already purchased AT LEAST one, but because I have to limit my collection to functional daily use pairs I have yet to buy one. IMO one of the most "out there" styles Oakley ever dreamed up. To this day I haven't seen Oakley or any other company top this.

2. Medusa
This ranks 2nd on my personal top 10, and only places 2nd because I don't feel that it is a true pair of "glasses", and that it was always meant to be a display piece. Awesomely "out there" design that was a true symbol of the minds at work at Oakley when it was released.

3. Hatchet Wire
This is a pair that holds a special place in my heart because of the materials used, and the fact that it never gained public favor like the "X-Metal" lines did. At first glance they look like a very plain pair no matter what the finish, but with a closer inspection you begin to see lines, contour, and details that set this pair apart from any other pair Oakley has created.

4. Romeo
When I first heard about the Romeo I remember laughing to myself at the audacity of a pair of titanium glasses. I had my mind made up that something so rigid and heavy (compared to O Matter) could never be a daily pair or really be worn like regular glasses. Boy was I wrong. All the innovation packed into those glasses turned my narrow minded view of what glasses could and should be on its head and I was truly amazed at how wearable they were.

5. XX (X-Metal)
What I consider to be the little brother of the Romeo. These glasses took the over the top aggressiveness of the Romeo and tamed it to a level that the average person could wear in public without too much commotion.

6. Juliet
I'm sure this is the most popular X Metal frame that Oakley has ever produced. It refined even further on the design of the XX and took it from something aggressive and tough to something purely artistic and elegant.

7. C-Six (Carbon)
For me this design was almost like a rebirth of the X Metal revolution. Using a material that wouldn't or couldn't normally be used to make a pair of glasses and crafting them into a fully functional work of art.

8. Over The Top
Easily the most fitting name Oakley has ever given a pair of glasses. Another design that broke the molds of what glasses could and should be. Much like the Hatchet Wire I was disappointed this line didn't continue on and evolve.

9. Caia Koopman Ravishing
Women don't get a lot of love in the world of Oakley (IMO), and this pair more than makes up for that. Hands down the most elegant and feminine pair that Oakley has ever produced and something that any collector would be proud to have on display, male or female.

10. XX (O Matter)
This was the pair that hooked me on Oakley for life. My first pair, and the pair that I saw most in my daily life at the time they were released. I had some very rough patches in my life and at one point I had to let my first and only pair of Oakleys go to someone else, all so that I could feed myself when I was homeless. In a strange, twisted way, this pair helped give me the drive to push through living on the streets. I was young then, about 16-17, and my view of the world wasn't much more than material things up to that point. It broke my heart to let something that I had worked so hard for to be able to afford out of my hand and out of my life in order to keep that life going- a very sobering moment in my youth and what felt like adding insult to injury. I swore to myself that I would find a way to make it through the situation I had been put in (unrelated to the glasses, that was purely a survival vow) and that someday I'd be able to have a pair again. There were a lot of days that I walked from place to place, applying for jobs and such, with nothing but the thought of when and where I'd be able to get back the glasses I loved. To some that might seem ridiculous and foolhardy, but selling that pair of glasses may very well have saved my life by giving me food and water for the better part of three weeks when I had nothing but the clothes on my back. You'd be amazed the kind of attachment you have for something that provides that in a time of need. That pair went from an expensive luxury item to being able to get me the basic needs of life when I needed it most, and that hasn't been forgotten.

Hard to put in order 1-10 for me... Medusa, OTT, Romeo 1, Mars (all), Tribal MD, Tron Pitboss, Ducati Pitboss Juliet, Flame Straight Jackets, Time Tank (MM)

Wow...hard question; and it depends on interpretation. What is most collectible isn't what I would own-because many highly collectible pieces don't look good on me and I wear whatever I own. But, there are a number of pieces that DO fit me that I own (or have owned) that I think qualify:

Juliet Carbon with 24K Iridium-just an amazing combination, really makes the 24K pop.

Juliet Polished with Fire Iridium Polarized-yes just a stock piece, but the polished frame is amazing and Fire in its 10% polarized version is amazing to look at while the hammerstems complete the piece with class and comfort.

Romeo 1 any combo-the legend; looks oversized on me and otherworldly but that's kind of the point. One I might wear just once every once in a while but wearable.

Splice any combo but preferably something with FMJ-one the finest Oakely pieces with just a really nice fusion of materials. Borders on too small but comfortable as heck; I see A LOT of Splice in the Pit Boss.

Pit Boss 1st generation any (except the Root Beer frame) and preferably the Tron-an incredible frame that pales next to X Metals (but doesn't anything?) and isn't even close to worth its $600 retail but a fine piece.

Fuel Cell pick your choice of special editions-the utilization of the earstem for artwork and the like by Oakley is genius and elevated a somewhat pedestrian design to a higher level. I think the Troy Lee Love/Hate Londons (with the red scheme-HIGHLY underrated) are just gorgeous especially when paired with matching lenses other than the Black Iridium.

Monster Dog any-only piece on this list I haven't owned but I've tried it on and its an amazing frame with the way it flows and fits; a no compromises design that somehow manages to be simple yet engaging visually.

Monster Pup Tony Stewart (preferably paired with Ruby or another contrasting lens)-I like the Polished Black on the Pup having never been a fan of the "Crystal" frames and I think a contrasting lens really sets off the frame which was a pre-cursor to the Square O tidal wave that followed but with more "Jannard Era" aggressive lines; I see A LOT of Pup in the Crankcase.

Crankcase any but the Matte Black with Violet Iridium is stunning-I know its just a plain old frame but it fits my face better than any other Oakley EVER produced plus in an era of IMO very boring designs and frames that are afraid to take chances, the Crankcase has some of that DNA in it.

Hatchet any-one of Oakley's most under appreciated frames ever made. A Juliet cousin without the hassle and other issues of flex couplers and everything else.

in no order......

jordan romeo
romeo plasma fire
romeo titanium gold
tribal monster dog
copper penny
OTT (any kind)
polished carbon slate ichiro juliet
polished slate ichiro juliet
zero 0.3
juliet 24k

anyone notice how partial i am to r1s and juliets? to me, oakley is what these two symbolize (as well as the zero 0.3 of course)....

Romeo 1
Splice Gunmetal/emerald Iridium
Plate - Platinum/24K
Plate - Dark Silver/Black Iridium
Juliet 24K
Mag Switch - Dark Carbide
X-squared - Ducati
Fatcat Rasta
Monster Dog Pinstripe
Gascan - Flying Tigers

1, OTT (any colour please Jim ;))
2, Romeo 1
3, Juliet
4, Splice
5, Monster Dog Snow Camo
6, Monster Dog Night Camo
7, Monster Dog Blue Camo (see Dr. Chop :cool-20:)
8, Monster Dog Chrome
9, Thump Snow Camo
10, Thump Night Camo

I'm open to anyone who feels generous enough to give me Item #1......................:crazypilot:

No particular Order...

1. Jordan R1
  2. Plasma/GI R2
  3. 24K XX Metal
  4. Camo MD (either camo)
  5. Grape Gascan
  6. Soviet Gascan
  7. Soviet Hijinx
  8. Pewter/+Red Whisker
  9. Ducati XS
  10. X-Metal Ducati Juliet

In no particular order

Mars Leather
Splice
OTT
Medusa
Polished Juliet
24K XS
24K Juliet
Michael Jordan 1.0 Romeo X-Metal
Penny Copper
XX Metal 24K

I can guarantee that my response will in no way reflect the desirability/collectability shown in the responses throughout this thread. This thread will fill up with lots of X-Metals, OTTs, Medusa, etc, which will inform Jim of what the community generally deems as collectable.
i.e. 'Rare Stuff'.

My response then is purely one of historical record - and the fun in the quandary of choosing my ten items.

I am fortunate in that my tastes are such that, within my modest 50+ pairs (inc 30+ Hijinx), I actually already own most of the items in my basket heading towards Jim's "Ten Items Or Less" checkout.
I therefore looked at this question as:

"Other than customs, what items that you currently own could you not live without?"
1) Romeo - Plasma/Fire (perfection in X-Metal, imho)
2) Hijinx - Ducati (probably perfection in daily-wear O-Matter, imho)
3) Hijinx - WITK (amazing artwork on a limited edition sunglass)
4) Hijinx - Stussy
5) O-ROKR Pro - Polished Black (how could I possibly commute without music now I have been given that gift?)

"What would have to be prised from your cold fingers?"
6) JK15 Split Thump (simply amazing design)

"What else would you probably quite like?"
7) Leather Mars - BNIB, properly fully BNIB

"You've got three left - think of something"
8) Propaganda Hijinx
9) Art Chantry Hijinx
10) Soviet Hijinx

I am clearly quite easily pleased compared to most.

May I also take this opportunity to formally thank Mr Jannard for creating the company that gave me the Hijinx.
Clean lines, sir.
It's all about clean lines.
:hi:

Back