• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm Done with the Madman (The Honeymoon is OVER!)

If truth be known, I have lost interest in the Madman(no interest in the Badman to start with). What with reading about the 'difficulties' that people were/are experiencing with them, it just makes me think that their 'off the wall' design has no real aesthetic value(in my eyes)........I can't 'put my finger' on it............maybe it just looks overengineered......it occured to me, how they resemble an RX eye testing implement.

Last edited:
Notice: I've not tried the MM nor the BM, so this is only an (internet) informed opinion.
(Does that help)? :angel:

The MM, as a styling excercise is on par with the OTT. That is to say, an artistically inspired design, let down by practical functionality.
For that reason alone, I'm sure it will remain a "collectable".
I, OTOH, buy Oaks for functionality first. Waaaaaaaaaaay down the list is "art".
As such, I'm not saving any money for the MadMan; judgement reserved on the BaaadMan.

As much as I'd hate to do it, I think I might be taking back my Madman pair as well. That hinge scraping is just a defect too far for me to tolerate nor will I wear these as often as I predicted I would. I'm DEFINITELY going to look into the new Tailends coming out in a few days as they look like a better fit for me plus I won't feel as much of a sting if I accidentally break them. I'm just a teensy bit disappointed at Oakley getting tolerances TOO tight for a change and a good pair costing me dearly for it. Thankfully I'll be able to get my money back for something (hopefully) better.

Also, @flyer:

The Madman I do agree is a styling exercise in that they were trying a different style and attempting a new engineering feat as well; making an X-Metal styled hybrid that would stand the test of time equally as good, if not better, than the classic Titanium X-metal series did. The Badman is sort of like "Best of both worlds" IMO, great style on the fringe of "daring" but still casual enough to wear with almost anything.

The "neXt-Metals" will definitely be collectible, especially the artist specials and Scuderia Ferrari series, and I think they will definitely fetch a fair penny in the coming years. As much as the older X-Metals? Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
update on madman. (I returned my original ones because coudlnt justify the price for what it was). But now recently purchased one through F&F discount. Anyways, this new one (built 3/22/15 stamped on box), has stiffer spring hinges than any other I have tried or checked out at stores. I dont know if oakley was responding to the fit being too loose? But I like it. It feels a bit more secure, although still not as tight as original x metals (I have juliets).

Just wanted to add this...that is all. I think I will be keeping this one

Latest Posts

Back