• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm kinda wondering why O hasn't made the Radar obsolete.

Ventruck

I am Jim Jannard...
On top of getting a few updated colorways, it still has a larger lens selection than the Radarlock, including the Prizm shooting lenses. I'm not hating on the Radar at all, but I would've expected with 2 years since the release of the 'Lock that it would've been killed off by now to simplify production, and leave customers to opt for the more expensive option per Lux fashion.

Only guess I have is that the Radar is still selling too well, like Frogskins-tier.

Bigger lens (size I mean) option may be another reason. No range lens for Radarlocks.

Also one of the reasons Radarlocks are more expensive is you get two lenses. Maybe they feel consumers don't always want that second lens? Who knows.

Neil

Oakley seems to keep their sport frames around for long time before they discontinue them. A prime example would be the M Frame. Then there is the Half Jacket, recently discontinued, but only after Flak Jacket, Fast Jacket and Half Jacket 2.0 are introduced.

Oakley seems to keep their sport frames around for long time before they discontinue them. A prime example would be the M Frame. Then there is the Half Jacket, recently discontinued, but only after Flak Jacket, Fast Jacket and Half Jacket 2.0 are introduced.

I think the M Frame mainly stayed because it did get multiple updates and technically had no direct replacement until the recent M2. But that is a true point about the Half Jacket.

As a model the Radar is better than the Radarlock, period. I also tend to find it sits more comfortably, but I don't know if everyone would agree with it.

The 'lock' part of the Radarlock is one of those things we introduced as an unnecessary gimmick IMO, it's not as if the Radar Path lenses are that difficult to change as it is and quite honestly, unless (like me) you like playing around to make custom looking glasses, day to day who changes their lenses that often? Even if you do, you gain maybe 20 seconds changing time with the lock.

The Radar is just one of those models that everything works with, ticks all the boxes and why again IMHO it'll stand the test of time as much as a sport model can.

As a model the Radar is better than the Radarlock, period. I also tend to find it sits more comfortably, but I don't know if everyone would agree with it.

The 'lock' part of the Radarlock is one of those things we introduced as an unnecessary gimmick IMO, it's not as if the Radar Path lenses are that difficult to change as it is and quite honestly, unless (like me) you like playing around to make custom looking glasses, day to day who changes their lenses that often? Even if you do, you gain maybe 20 seconds changing time with the lock.

The Radar is just one of those models that everything works with, ticks all the boxes and why again IMHO it'll stand the test of time as much as a sport model can.

Yeah, I would agree that the Radar can arguably be the better functional pair - and probably even faster to swap lenses with than the Lock once you get the method down. For me it was a matter of aesthetic that made me go for the latter. I'm just not sure what Oakley's particular line of thinking is, the whole company standpoint and whatnot..

Personally I prefer the Radarlock. I have 7 Radars and 8 Radarlocks so obviously like both but I'll grab a Radarlock first because I find them more comfortable and they don't squeak like Radars do!

From the point of view of lens changing I think they're both just as quick with the Radars maybe holding the edge.

Neil

I agree that the lock looks and fits a bit better. If they updated the Radar styling a bit, kept the lenses and socks so spare parts don't change, I think they'd have a real winner. I sold my Radars, have 3 locks now.

Somebody told me that there was a philosophy of good/better/best with the sport models, so you've got M2/Radar/Radarlock with a shield type lens, and Halfjacket 2.0/Flak Jacket/Fast Jacket in a dual lens arrangement. Where that leaves the Racing Jacket, I don't know

Latest Posts

Back