• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Im New

I hear dr.chop doesn't do custom cuts anymore but xmetalmaniac and InfiniteHero still do. Yes, real Oakley, they take replacement lenses for different Oakley frames that have the right curvature and enough surface area (aka "donor lenses") and cut them down to the shape that fits the frame you want. I've bought three sets from InfiniteHero, two of them polarized. He sources the donors himself so all you need to do is PM him asking for the lens color you want and for which frame you want them cut; if he can't source that color he'll tell you what he can get.

I haven't done business with xmetalmaniac but his reputation is stellar as well. They use different techniques - xmetalmaniac traces and cuts by hand while InfiniteHero uses a lens cutting machine. I'd say if lens etching is important to you (like the "polarized" on pol lenses or the plus symbol on IH lenses), then xmetalmaniac is the better choice because he can trace / cut to position the etching correctly. With InfiniteHero you will lose the etching but, with polarized lenses, he ensures the polarization orientation is the same as OEM replacement lenses made for that frame. I went with InfiniteHero because I wanted the correct polarization orientation more than the etching.

Either way, anything you see on ebay with an affordable price is pretty much always 3rd party, not OEM, and you should stay away if you plan to actually wear them, the optics aren't as good. 3rd party lenses also devalue your Oaks. Custom cuts cost more but they're worth it.

And welcome to the forum...

that should be a sticky.

thanks for all the info everyone. I just picked up my second x metal xx. Ill show some pics when they arrive;)

I hear dr.chop doesn't do custom cuts anymore but xmetalmaniac and InfiniteHero still do. Yes, real Oakley, they take replacement lenses for different Oakley frames that have the right curvature and enough surface area (aka "donor lenses") and cut them down to the shape that fits the frame you want. I've bought three sets from InfiniteHero, two of them polarized. He sources the donors himself so all you need to do is PM him asking for the lens color you want and for which frame you want them cut; if he can't source that color he'll tell you what he can get.

I haven't done business with xmetalmaniac but his reputation is stellar as well. They use different techniques - xmetalmaniac traces and cuts by hand while InfiniteHero uses a lens cutting machine. I'd say if lens etching is important to you (like the "polarized" on pol lenses or the plus symbol on IH lenses), then xmetalmaniac is the better choice because he can trace / cut to position the etching correctly. With InfiniteHero you will lose the etching but, with polarized lenses, he ensures the polarization orientation is the same as OEM replacement lenses made for that frame. I went with InfiniteHero because I wanted the correct polarization orientation more than the etching.

Either way, anything you see on ebay with an affordable price is pretty much always 3rd party, not OEM, and you should stay away if you plan to actually wear them, the optics aren't as good. 3rd party lenses also devalue your Oaks. Custom cuts cost more but they're worth it.

And welcome to the forum...

Just FYI, The polarized etching will only be retained if the lens is small enough and works for that frame..... I will not save the POLARIZED logo if it is not conducive to the polarized orientation. Thus cutting polarized split jackets for a pitboss will work with saving the polarized logo, but not with a polarized big taco. Trying to retain the logo from a big taco throws off the orientation, so I will not even entertain doing those. Same goes for any lens I do. So asking me may get a correct answer.....

Back