• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm Pretty Cranky!!!

spin_nin

I should Work at Oakley
Chicago, IL.
Because...

Oakley didn't make one, not one, colorway of the Crankcase that I liked (The Polished Black / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icon was ok but, due to a lack of an Iridium lens, it was a not a keeper), so I had to put together the ones I wanted by combining and customizing several different pairs. Thankfully, they've been available at decent prices to make all of this possible.

So, here they are! The Crankcase collection the way I would have designed them, with what I had available from Oakley. Since they never offered a Ruby Ird lens w/ a Red icon or a Fire Ird lens w/ an Orange icon I couldn't incorporate those :sad: Boo!

I didn't really care for the White or Matte Clear Frames. They just don't look "right" on me. However, I do think my version of the Polished White Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal is / was better than the original White / JI combo. Unfortunately, in regards to the Matte Clear Frame, I couldn't find a combo on these that I like - I just got them for the Ice Ird Polarized lenses and the Polished Blue Icons. They will be taking a trip to Colorado Custom Look!

Right to Left, Top to Bottom:

Steel Frame / BIP / Chrome Icons, Polished Black Frame / Ice Ird Polarized / Polished Blue Icons.

Steel Frame / Jade Ird / Green icons, Polished Black Frame / Jade Ird / Polished Green Icons.

Matte Black Frame / BIP / Chrome Icons, Polished Black Frame / Violet Ird / Polished Purple Icons.

Polished White Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icons, Matte Clear Frame / Dark Grey / Green Icons.

IMG_0646.jpg

Last edited:
Great customs! I think you're better off making the color ways the way you want them rather than preserving the factory release. It's all too often our preferred colorway has to be made custom.

Where did you get that case from? I've been thinking about building my own out of lexan for a long time with the exact setup that you have. Is it something you built or can I go buy one somewhere?

I wonder why!?!

Oakley didn't make one, not one, colorway of the Crankcase that I liked (The Polished Black / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icon was ok but, due to a lack of an Iridium lens, it was a not a keeper), so I had to put together the ones I wanted by combining and customizing several different pairs. Thankfully, they've been available at decent prices to make all of this possible.

So, here they are! The Crankcase collection the way I would have designed them, with what I had available from Oakley, since they never offered a Ruby Ird lens w/ a Red icon or a Fire Ird lens w/ an Orange icon I couldn't incorporate those :sad: Boo! :mad-35:

I don't really care for the White or Matte Clear Frames. They just don't look "right" on me. I do think my version of the Polished White Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal is better than the original White / JI combo. However, regarding the Matte Clear Frame, I can't find a combo on these that I like - I just got them for the IIP lenses and Polished Blue Icons. They may end up taking a trip to Colorado Custom Look!

Right to Left, Top to Bottom:

Steel Frame / BIP / Polished Silver Icons, Polished Black Frame / Ice Ird Polarized / Polished Blue Icons.

Steel Frame / Jade Ird / Green icons, Polished Black Frame / Jade Ird / Polished Green Icons.

Matte Black Frame / BIP / Polished Silver Icons, Polished Black Frame / Violet Ird / Polished Purple Icons.

Polished White Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icons, Matte Clear Frame / Dark Grey / Green Icons.

Not pictured: Polished Black Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icons.

IMG_0646.jpg
Like the Matte Clear / Grey / green icons pair too.

LOL. I guess it depends on your criteria for that title. I'm sure there are a few others that have the complete (or almost complete) OEM collection, like @del518 (in the photo, I see that he is missing the Polished Black Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icon).

I think I have that one. It's the one in the pic with orange sticker on it.
D3CAC3B5-E6BC-4511-AFED-98D08D13A3B3.jpg