• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm starting to think...

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
I'm starting to think that you guys are being extremely tough on Oakley lately. Granted, I do hate the most recent styles and there has been a small lack of innovation lately, but what do you expect after seeing some of the best things made 10+ years ago? I easily think 2005-2009 had worse releases then there are now. And there is an over saturation of some things but things now are better then they were not too long ago.

Im not to fond of the designs as of late. I do love the Antix and HIjinx lines a lot especially with the special editions they have made. Same can be said for some Fuel Cells and Gascans. I know we have a lot of frogskin love but the brooks and jupiter lines just seem like they have tweaked those a bit for a new line. I agree with you too some of us enthusiasts have been a little hard. I still think Oakley makes an excellent product. I wanna see the Big Taco in person before I pass final judgement but the way I see it, if I dont like the new lines it gives me a chance to catch up on some pairs on my wish list.

I liked the big taco too when I tried it on. Too big for me but the design was actually pretty nice in person IMO. I still hate the name though

The frame isn't terrible... However it doesn't follow any of oakleys previous genius. it isn't quite oakley at all.
Is it Lux? Yes... Is it Oakley? no.
the name is hideous. what PR and Design team allowed this name to go out?
out of all the frames and clever ideas oakley has come up with in the past....
big taco?
honestly...? Can someone enlighten me with as to why they would do this?

I think there has been a big misunderstanding about what Oakley has become since Luxottica took over.

I had a chance to talk to someone higher up from corporate at an event recently, and he told me that nothing has changed since Luxottica took over. Oakley has stuff planned for the next 5 years, this has been the same regardless of them being sold. He also informed me that the shut down of the X-Metal plant was Oakley's decision. Overall he says that the relationship between the two isn't hostile like everyone thinks.

I easily think 2005-2009 had worse releases then there are now.

Some notables;

'05 has the Gascan, Crosshair, Warden, Thump 2.0, Jury (great looking pair, innovative hinges)

'06 has the Eyepatch and Twitch stretchline, Monster Pup, O Rokr, M Frame 2.0

'07 has Flak Jacket, Radar, Hijinx, Straight Jacket

'08 has Inmate...

'09 has Pit Boss, C-Six, X Squared, Fuel Cell

In the three years since I can count on one hand the number of frames that I like. And the lists of releases are twice as long.

Yup and by releasing new SJ2 colorways they almost are admitting the recent stuff is bad ...unless u like the Wayfarer/Frogskin/Holbrook look...gotta go with the Rustman on this. I have heard from other sources Lux most certainly is making them more fashion oriented...what I see tells me thats true

That's the reason why I like the vintage pairs. Many of the latest designed frames are just ug1y (my opinion).

SJII is about as close to the early '00's as they've got. And the new color combos have been done on the previous generation SJ, XX, M Frame... probably others. Great colorway, but nothing original this time around.

Latest Posts

Back