• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm starting to think...

I also forgot to mention, go to any Craigslist and you'll find the place choked with Holbrooks, Gascans, Fuel Cells, etc. There really isn't anything that special about them which is why they have such high turnover in places like CL. Same with eBay.

I believe the problem is in the design team and marketing... They don't utilize focus groups, guys like us who are passionate about the product and innovative in our own circles (modding). They choose to employ college grads with little to no interest in the actual product, they want the paycheck... I feel like the fun is gone at HQ since Jim left and there is no one with an eye for innovation and cutting edge detailing. I am a admitted vintage fan, what some of you see as dull I see as appealing and desirable.

The best designs came out under Jim IMO and there have been a few as of recent but the fleecing of us collectors by changing a minute detail and calling it new and innovative is BS... Im NOT big on the hey lets change a color and call it a special edition, oh that didn't work so lets throw some paint on the ear stems and call it another special edition, hey you think we could sell a few more if we called it a collaboration and just etched the lens, hell yeah lets try that... I have stopped collecting Frogskins because of this, Im not a sheep and I will not follow. I have decided that if thats going to be the attitude I will collaborate with other collectors and create, modify or change the colors if you will to ones that actually do excite me instead of a red tortoise color called a Collectors Edition because marketing thought it would sell more units.

I believe the problem is in the design team and marketing... They don't utilize focus groups, guys like us who are passionate about the product and innovative in our own circles (modding). They choose to employ college grads with little to no interest in the actual product, they want the paycheck... I feel like the fun is gone at HQ since Jim left and there is no one with an eye for innovation and cutting edge detailing. I am a admitted vintage fan, what some of you see as dull I see as appealing and desirable.

The best designs came out under Jim IMO and there have been a few as of recent but the fleecing of us collectors by changing a minute detail and calling it new and innovative is BS... Im NOT big on the hey lets change a color and call it a special edition, oh that didn't work so lets throw some paint on the ear stems and call it another special edition, hey you think we could sell a few more if we called it a collaboration and just etched the lens, hell yeah lets try that... I have stopped collecting Frogskins because of this, Im not a sheep and I will not follow. I have decided that if thats going to be the attitude I will collaborate with other collectors and create, modify or change the colors if you will to ones that actually do excite me instead of a red tortoise color called a Collectors Edition because marketing thought it would sell more units.

agreed 100%

Of course they aren't aiming for the bottom of the barrel customer. That's what Walmart and Target is for. Oakley still has brand reputation just like Ray Ban and any other company out there has in the fashion world. The issue is that before, the company was even above that. You walk down the street and you see a pair of X-Metals, you do a double take and say "Whoa! What the hell is that!"

Now you walk down the street and you see a Batwolf or a Fuel Cell or a Holbrook or a Frog Skin on every other guy. Just like you walk down the street and you see Wayfarers on a lot of teens faces. Oakley was one up on them with what they put out in terms of cutting edge stuff. Now they're just like every other company out there.

exactly man! i mean what i like about oakley is the "wow" factor! like when youre wearing a juliet or a romeo people will just say WOW! wearing OTT ofcourse would mean a lot of "what the hell is that" but the thing is oakley gets people's attention. by making some designs that are just "tweaks" of previous designs seems boring to me and maybe there will come a time that oakley may loss its market because people will see the new designs and just consider it as one of those "normal" sunglasses.

The success of Shaun White certainly did affect the direction that Oakley has taken, I believe. Skaters, snowboarders, skiers made the lifestyle department explode with popularity and Shaun White certainly fueled that success.

Looking back at the past few years, the sport and lifestyle departments had great success while the active department clearly has suffered.

The success of Shaun White certainly did affect the direction that Oakley has taken, I believe. Skaters, snowboarders, skiers made the lifestyle department explode with popularity and Shaun White certainly fueled that success.

Looking back at the past few years, the sport and lifestyle departments had great success while the active department clearly has suffered.

Exactly, in order for Oakley to stay in business they need to focus on what sells, Lifestyle (Batwolf, Holbrook etc) and Sport Performance (Flak, Radar etc) are the only two categories that sell. When Oakley tries to throw old Oakley fans a bone (Tenty 2012, tightrope, X ten) they do not sell.

and I'd rather wear somthing called Big Taco than Juliet..

Back