• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

IMac Is IBroken

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Okay, the logic board (so says the Apple geniuses) on my 24" Intel iMac has shot its load. Now I'm faced with the decision to replace the logic board for $700 or buy a new mac. Being that a new mac is only a few hundred dollars difference, I'll probably go for a new one. Now, here's where I'm in need of advice/feedback from everyone...

- Does anyone here own a recent iMac (2010 & up)? If so, how has your experience been so far (in regards to performance and reliability)? I'm leaning toward a 21.5" model...
- How is the Lion OS? I have Snow Leopard and I like it, but I've read and heard of issues with Lion.
- Has anyone ever purchased the Apple Care package? If so, do you think it's worth the money? If not, do you regret it?

I'm forced to temporarily use my work computer for my personal usage, but I definitely can't keep this up for long. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated! Mahalo!!!

I faced a similar problem a few weeks back when my headphone jack got stuck inside the headphone socket on my Macbook. Apparently the only way to repair it was to replace the entire logic board for £350.

I've never owned an iMac, and nor do I use Snow Leopard but re: the Apple Care Package do I think it's worth the money? Not in my experience. My brother had an iPhone that was under Apple care and when it broke and they replaced it, and the replacement broke so they replaced, and then that broke. At this point they tried to insinuate that it must be something he was doing but he wasn't, they kept giving him lemons. The people at the Apple Store Genius Bar have also always been snooty, obnoxious, and unhelpful but in my experience with my Macbook (they didn't even want to look at it, even though I had it on me), with my brother and his iPhone, and with friends who have had problems.

I've been a mac fan ever since I started to really use computers. I currently have a 21" 3.06 core 2 duo and it has been great. I bought it refurbished from apple, in fact my last 3 macs have been refurbs and I have had no problems with them at all.

The only complaint I have heard from the 21.5" iMac is the resolution. I know someone that returned his just to get the 27in for the resolution difference.

I faced a similar problem a few weeks back when my headphone jack got stuck inside the headphone socket on my Macbook. Apparently the only way to repair it was to replace the entire logic board for £350.

I've never owned an iMac, and nor do I use Snow Leopard but re: the Apple Care Package do I think it's worth the money? Not in my experience. My brother had an iPhone that was under Apple care and when it broke and they replaced it, and the replacement broke so they replaced, and then that broke. At this point they tried to insinuate that it must be something he was doing but he wasn't, they kept giving him lemons. The people at the Apple Store Genius Bar have also always been snooty, obnoxious, and unhelpful but in my experience with my Macbook (they didn't even want to look at it, even though I had it on me), with my brother and his iPhone, and with friends who have had problems.

Sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with Apple Service. I've only had one good experience so far, that was when I jailbroke and bricked my iPhone 4. Took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it without charge.

I've been a mac fan ever since I started to really use computers. I currently have a 21" 3.06 core 2 duo and it has been great. I bought it refurbished from apple, in fact my last 3 macs have been refurbs and I have had no problems with them at all.

Yup, I love my Mac. I used to be a PC until I got turned onto Mac by my father in law, now I'll probably never go back! I've always been leary of refurbs, but I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences so far.

The only complaint I have heard from the 21.5" iMac is the resolution. I know someone that returned his just to get the 27in for the resolution difference.

Interesting...was it because of the graphics card? I'm not aware of a difference in the screen types between the two sizes that would affect resolution. Usually, doesn't a smaller screen provide slightly better resolution anyway?

I Bootcamp Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my 15" MacBook Pro. I don't even use Lion :lol:

Nice! I want a MBP, but that's out of the budget at the moment :sad:.

We have imac i upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion Have had NO issues in about 8 months...would never go back to PC and thats the screen size we got Have not had any Lion issues Wife uses it a lot for photos resumes and all kinds of stuff and is satisfied with it..Apple Care -absolutely worth it...Every tech person has been in US and helped quickly with ?'s/set up....After HP's tech help it's a dream I am not most cyber oriented person but do use HP at work with Win 7 and this kills it

i run an '10 MBP with no worries.. did get the applecare but i returned it as i bought the wrong one, and never bothered replacing it. i think macs last longer than PCs, so reliability is a sure thing. i dunno about imacs but a few friends have some and love it

Interesting...was it because of the graphics card? I'm not aware of a difference in the screen types between the two sizes that would affect resolution. Usually, doesn't a smaller screen provide slightly better resolution anyway?

I am not exactly sure but once he got the 27" he was happy and had no complaints. This isn't first hand but it is just an experience I have heard from someone close to me that is very picky on what he likes. It may not be the same for you but wanted to give you the information that I have heard. I have had a macbook (no longer made now) since 2005 and he also got a macbook pro at the same time of the new iMac and hasn't had a complaint on the MBP. I know it isn't a lot of information but hope it helps some

Okay, the logic board (so says the Apple geniuses) on my 24" Intel iMac has shot its load. Now I'm faced with the decision to replace the logic board for $700 or buy a new mac. Being that a new mac is only a few hundred dollars difference, I'll probably go for a new one. Now, here's where I'm in need of advice/feedback from everyone...

- Does anyone here own a recent iMac (2010 & up)? If so, how has your experience been so far (in regards to performance and reliability)? I'm leaning toward a 21.5" model...
- How is the Lion OS? I have Snow Leopard and I like it, but I've read and heard of issues with Lion.
- Has anyone ever purchased the Apple Care package? If so, do you think it's worth the money? If not, do you regret it?

I'm forced to temporarily use my work computer for my personal usage, but I definitely can't keep this up for long. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated! Mahalo!!!

Yes I have the 24" iMac and no issues. This is my 4th Mac I have owned. My mother has the 27" iMac and she loves it.
I have Snow Leopard at home and we run Lion at work. At work we have about 10 G5 Towers and 3 iMacs No issues.
I would say get Apple Care. One time I did not get it and Mother Board goes down.......Son of a B_tch!! I was not happy. What can you do.
I always tell everyone get as big as you can afford. Holds the same for TV's and Computers. I LOVE Big Screens. I have a 24" iMac and an extra 20" side monitor.
Good luck and happy Mac-king.

Back