• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

IMac Is IBroken

Sorry that your iMac went out but I do own a Mac book pro with lion and I do have some complaints on lion. Ever since I upgraded to lion when it was releases in June my Mac book has started to overheat and battery life has gone down. They are known problems that Apple has acknowledged and has attempted to fix. The battery is no longer a big issue but the overheating if still there and makes me a little uncomfortable sometimes. I would say get some type of warranty whether it be from best buy or Apple because these computers are not cheap in any way. I love my pro its my first Mac and I don't think I will go back to a windows machine. Oh and I have the latest 2011 15 inch with the 2.0 quad core I7 processor. when you get another Mac I do recommend to get one with a i7 or i5 processor. To me they are worth the extra money.

Sounds like your iMac turned to iCrap....lol Sorry, I had to... Never been a fan of iAnything. Hopefully no offense taken.

Dont they have Apple graveyards you can snag some used parts from? $700 seems like a lot for a board.

I have an iMac, I bought in December of 2010 I believe. It has 4Gb of ram and the 3.2 GHz i3 and it's the 21.5'. I love this thing, but the only thing I regret was not going for the i5 at the time, just to have a better processor. I have Snow Leopard with the intention of getting Lion pretty soon, and increasing my ram to 8 from OWC. Let point out that the upgrades are just for pure "luxury" as I don't need to, the computer performs just like when it was new. The only reason why I went with the 21.5 was the lack of space, but its amazing how big it is. Once you see the 21.5 alone and not next to a 27, you won't remember that size. Beside, if you are not using it for major graphic design, I doubt you need that much screen. I haven't had a single issue with the computer, I mainly use it for apps, and some photo and video editing, and it performs pretty darn good. I did purchase the apple care, and on this I didn't mind spending the extra few bucks, but I haven't used it. It's a bit on your opinion, but considering that you'll pay around $1500 for a computer, I personally thought that it was worth it, you never know.

Good luck! and let us know what do you do.

Interesting...was it because of the graphics card? I'm not aware of a difference in the screen types between the two sizes that would affect resolution. Usually, doesn't a smaller screen provide slightly better resolution anyway?

I am not exactly sure but once he got the 27" he was happy and had no complaints. This isn't first hand but it is just an experience I have heard from someone close to me that is very picky on what he likes. It may not be the same for you but wanted to give you the information that I have heard. I have had a macbook (no longer made now) since 2005 and he also got a macbook pro at the same time of the new iMac and hasn't had a complaint on the MBP. I know it isn't a lot of information but hope it helps some

Thanks. I actually found out that there is a difference in output resolution between the 21.5" (1080p) and the 27"(1440p). I would love to upgrade from my 24" to a 27", but unfortunately it won't fit on my workstation. I had to modify my workstation to fit my 24" in there, lol.

My wife has a macbook pro and I have a macbook air and we love them both. I do recommend you get the apple care warranty though because if anything goes bad you get it replaced. That warranty is only good for 3 years, but it would burn your hide if you had a logic board go out within 3 years and had to shell out $700. I only used the warranty once to get a new battery in the macbook pro. They swapped it out with no problems or hassles because I had the apple care warranty.

We're both running Lion and love it. It has some nice new features that Snow Leopard didn't have and it runs smooth. Definitely a must on a newer computer.

I say go for the 27" because it's a beast and you'll always just want it anyway if you get the 24".

Yes I have the 24" iMac and no issues. This is my 4th Mac I have owned. My mother has the 27" iMac and she loves it.
I have Snow Leopard at home and we run Lion at work. At work we have about 10 G5 Towers and 3 iMacs No issues.
I would say get Apple Care. One time I did not get it and Mother Board goes down.......Son of a B_tch!! I was not happy. What can you do.
I always tell everyone get as big as you can afford. Holds the same for TV's and Computers. I LOVE Big Screens. I have a 24" iMac and an extra 20" side monitor.
Good luck and happy Mac-king.

Mahalo Brett! I am leaning more towards purchasing the Apple Care. You never know with technology...you may get a computer that'll last you 4-5 years under normal usage, then on the opposite, you may get one that will crap out in 4-5 months. We'll see, I'm still doing my homework...lol.

Sorry that your iMac went out but I do own a Mac book pro with lion and I do have some complaints on lion. Ever since I upgraded to lion when it was releases in June my Mac book has started to overheat and battery life has gone down. They are known problems that Apple has acknowledged and has attempted to fix. The battery is no longer a big issue but the overheating if still there and makes me a little uncomfortable sometimes. I would say get some type of warranty whether it be from best buy or Apple because these computers are not cheap in any way. I love my pro its my first Mac and I don't think I will go back to a windows machine. Oh and I have the latest 2011 15 inch with the 2.0 quad core I7 processor. when you get another Mac I do recommend to get one with a i7 or i5 processor. To me they are worth the extra money.

Mahalo Menendez! I suggested maybe going with a MBP to wifey, but she flat out said she wants a desktop :sad:. That's cool either way, we just need something. Using the iPad and my work laptop isn't cutting it.

Sounds like your iMac turned to iCrap....lol Sorry, I had to... Never been a fan of iAnything. Hopefully no offense taken.

Dont they have Apple graveyards you can snag some used parts from? $700 seems like a lot for a board.

LOL, no offense taken. I'm sure there are venues to purchase refurb/new parts for a cheaper price, but I'd still need a tech to help me remove and replace the OEM board. So, I may as well just buy a new model :wink:.

I have an iMac, I bought in December of 2010 I believe. It has 4Gb of ram and the 3.2 GHz i3 and it's the 21.5'. I love this thing, but the only thing I regret was not going for the i5 at the time, just to have a better processor. I have Snow Leopard with the intention of getting Lion pretty soon, and increasing my ram to 8 from OWC. Let point out that the upgrades are just for pure "luxury" as I don't need to, the computer performs just like when it was new. The only reason why I went with the 21.5 was the lack of space, but its amazing how big it is. Once you see the 21.5 alone and not next to a 27, you won't remember that size. Beside, if you are not using it for major graphic design, I doubt you need that much screen. I haven't had a single issue with the computer, I mainly use it for apps, and some photo and video editing, and it performs pretty darn good. I did purchase the apple care, and on this I didn't mind spending the extra few bucks, but I haven't used it. It's a bit on your opinion, but considering that you'll pay around $1500 for a computer, I personally thought that it was worth it, you never know.

Good luck! and let us know what do you do.

Mahalo Belmont! I'm leaning towards the 21.5", but haven't decided on the i5 or i7. For what I usually use it for I don't think I necessarily need the i7, but it would be nice to have :redface:. I like the option of being able upgrade RAM on my own too. I'd be downgrading in size (24" now, to a 21.5"), but like you said, it may not even be noticeable...besides, the 27" won't fit on my workstation/desk.

I usually steer clear of extended warranties and the such, but putting back in perspective like you said, we are going to spending $1500+ and should consider it. After all, I bought the extended service plan with my TV...same thought process, just don't like spending the extra money on a "chance" possibility that my computer will crap out after the stock warranty expires. Bottom line, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry!

My wife has a macbook pro and I have a macbook air and we love them both. I do recommend you get the apple care warranty though because if anything goes bad you get it replaced. That warranty is only good for 3 years, but it would burn your hide if you had a logic board go out within 3 years and had to shell out $700. I only used the warranty once to get a new battery in the macbook pro. They swapped it out with no problems or hassles because I had the apple care warranty.

We're both running Lion and love it. It has some nice new features that Snow Leopard didn't have and it runs smooth. Definitely a must on a newer computer.

I say go for the 27" because it's a beast and you'll always just want it anyway if you get the 24".

Mahalo fishy! Good to hear that you're happy with Lion. I've read and heard conflicting feedback on the new OS, but that's mainly affecting the mobile platforms. I'd love to have a 27", but unfortunately I'd have to modify (hack up) my workstation for it to fit :sad:.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I have a 2010 13 MacBook Pro , but still using Snow Leopard.
That was my first Mac and have made a couple calls to Apple Care with help and have been very happy with Apple Care.
Looking at an iPad this year and Hoping an iMac in 2013.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I have a 2010 13 MacBook Pro , but still using Snow Leopard.
That was my first Mac and have made a couple calls to Apple Care with help and have been very happy with Apple Care.
Looking at an iPad this year and Hoping an iMac in 2013.

Mahalo vettefan! Good to hear that Apple Care has worked for you. I heard if you have Apple Care, they take great care of you. What am I saying?!?! They do take care of you...I jailbroke my iPhone 4, bricked it a few months after, and Apple exchanged it without question. They had to have known that I jailbroke it too, but still no questions were asked.

I have the 1st gen iPad and love it! Loved our iMac too, until it's demise. I guess I'm lucky, it probably ran a little over the average life span of iMacs nowadays. Still sucks though:sad:. Now the dilemma is whether to wait for an update on iMacs or buy current model...hmmm.

Unless you just need it now I would try to wait.
According to the Rumor sites an update to the iMac is coming.
Macrumors.com has a good buyers guide that i use at times.

Not sure if you have seen the site , but ifixit.com has a detailed write up about how to replace the logic board in an iMac.
Just a thought for you :)

Edit:
Just went through the guide to replace the logic board on that site.
Well detailed but unless your technical it might not be a good idea.

Latest Posts

Back