• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Images on lenses, what is it called and can anyone here do it or know how to? NOT ETCHING.

jest3R

Oakley Beginner
Hello all!
I was wondering if any of you know what the process is called for putting designs on lenses without affecting the sight out of the lens? Also was wondering if anyone here does it or knows how to do it?

I'm not talking about etching but more of a change in tint if that makes sense? I had a pair of LV Aviators a while back that had this effect, unfortunately I'm a bit to old/lame for that now, but would love to apply the effect on some Oakley's. Attached are pictures of what I'm talking about.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

LV1.jpg

LV2.jpg

LV3.jpg

supremeLV.jpg

Decal inlay between layers?
I don't think it was an inlay or decal, but that feels like a possibility on how to replicate the effect. IIRC from my LV pair, it was seamless onto the glass with no layering.

Is there a way to tint glass without using film? Like using a mask/stencil of the design on the glass, then applying the tint? Google was of no help :-/

Well, oakley did it for the SF and KC holbrooks, so I’m guessing it is a tint. Check this photo a user uploaded a while back

View attachment 800253
I was going to respond with one of my pics of those. You beat me to it. I was asked if I could see the logo when wearing them, and honestly, no. When I first put them on I kinda can a little but my eyes adjust quickly and it goes away completely! Oakley should do more of these.

Well, oakley did it for the SF and KC holbrooks, so I’m guessing it is a tint. Check this photo a user uploaded a while back

SICK! Ok, so at least now I know it's been done before on Oakleys... anyone know how to DIY it?

Back