• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Import fees to the usa

I did some research on this once upon a time. I don't remember the specifics but I think that there actually can be import fees, just in practice they rarely bother with it for the small stuff. It's the high-value items that have a better chance of being flagged by customs for fees. I don't remember what the cutoff was, i.e. "above this amount gets flagged", but I think you might be over it.

OK, revisited it. The cap is $800 USD; below that no duty, above that can get charged a percentage. I couldn't re-find what the percentage was for sunglasses, but I did find a calculator that said, for sunglasses at the value you stated, $660 in import duty and $115 in additional taxes.

Found some more details on how the calculator came up with that import duty, copied and pasted:

Notes on duty & taxes rates
  • Sunglasses oakleys has an import duty rate of 2% Importation of these articles is subject to 'Drop Ball Test' Certificate requirements controlled by the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please contact FDA for more information. [High Probability]. This product is not made of endangered species and therefore import of this product does not require a CITES license.
Notes on import taxes due
  • For imports with FOB value exceeding US$2500.00, a Merchandise Processing Fee of 0.3464% of the FOB value applies, with a minimum of US$25.00 and maximum of US$485.00

If you are shipping 25k of goods in a commercial transaction and the consignee doesnt have a CHB to answer these questions Id wonder who they were first and fore most.

Second duty rates and IRT depend on the product and its use. A proper trariff number is the first step.

But really there should be a forwarder on your end and a broker on the other.

OK, revisited it. The cap is $800 USD; below that no duty, above that can get charged a percentage. I couldn't re-find what the percentage was for sunglasses, but I did find a calculator that said, for sunglasses at the value you stated, $660 in import duty and $115 in additional taxes.
Wow. If I was importing that value from outside the EU, I would be looking at a minimum of $7500 in fees and charges. Pretty much ten times the amount. Damn you HMRC!

Wow. If I was importing that value from outside the EU, I would be looking at a minimum of $7500 in fees and charges. Pretty much ten times the amount. Damn you HMRC!

Ya that isnt correct. Hes quoting the personal exemption. That doesnt apply to what the OP is asking

Back