• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

IMPORTANT! …..Beware Of Customized Oakley Products! No Matter Whom It’s From

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly I haven't seen anything remotely close to what this guy is talking about taking place on the forums. Unless I'm just clueless. Whether or not it happens on eBay I don't know, but he's clearly calling out members of this forum.

That's how I took it too. Im still new here but I am not new to the Oakley community and I also am unaware of this practice. I Have seen a lot more "custom" frames on ebay as of late but as others have said, as long as the are being listed as custom and the buyer is aware where is the harm? Regardless if you are going to join a forum and call out its members the least you could do is make yourself available to answer some questions and back up your fairly bold statement. Its interesting to me that the OP has been silent ever since the post.

Ya although its the only post hes ever made, hes entitled to his opinion. Without any further comments from the op, it will most likely be taken with a grain of salt.

Best I can figure, the OP is saying that some trusted members on this forum are reproducing rare pieces and selling them as legit. I really hope that is not the case. I've read over the post a couple of times and that's what I get out of it.

WOW! No matter the opinion I can see that I struck a deep chord with a few members. Let me clarify as well. I too like to customize my own stuff from time to time but that is for my personal use, like many of you advocate. I am referring to people doing this and selling for profit. if they are not selling for a profit more power to them but I doubt they are doing this for free. There are some major points here people should really think about. I am not going to be specific to whom these people are…..but if there was no wrong doing this thread would not even exist. Down below are a few issues I am speaking of:

1. Collecting is based on exclusiveness….. Oakley releases only certain models in colorways for a reason. Combinations are created unique to each line so that all the individual lines do not blend together. This is why certain color-ways t are specific to Limited Series, Signature Series, and even Oakleys own customizable pairs. Also, this is not limited to glasses.

2. Values on unique items will ultimately drop if you flood the market with limited unique customized products. This is a fact……People will simply not care if it’s a factory custom, limited, or rare item anymore. Instead they will just buy something unique from that supplier.

3. These people who are experts in Oakley customizing control a marke, again based on exclusiveness. They will be able to determine how many items they will produce and ultimately blur the line for less informed consumers. This runs a major risk of devaluing items in a simple supply and demand.

4. Most important! Money is a major motivator. Suppose I ask this person behind closed doors to make me a pair of sunglasses or something else. The person making those sunglasses may not understand that that item is in fact very rare which leaves the owner of the original product with something no longer rare. This maybe unintentionally but still, do we want people outside of Oakley doing this?

5. Someone brought up copy write….. Say this person is also creating designs that exist on certain models and then placing them on other models to sell. This in fact is a violation of property rights. If I take a design off a t-shirt and place it on a hat for re-sale I am still profiting from their design. Logo’s are the worst…. Major problems here. Infringing on a trademark is the ultimate violation in the court of law. Corporations spend millions to protect these rights and they ARE enforced by companies like Oakley. Say I etch an elite logo on a pair of lenses and then sell them or even just a stretch logo from the women sunglasses. This in fact is a violation of a trademark because it was not done by the factory and is being used to make a profit.Ist also obscures what is authentic from the manufacture which is even worse as reputation is often a companies most valued commodity . If you are found guilty of this Oakley will automatically be awarded ( 160,000$ if I am not mistaken /if it hasn’t gone up) just if proven. Then they will take damages that will be assessed accordingly and a team of lawyers will be laughing while they take your house and everything you own.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone or if I have not articulated myself in a clear and understandable way. These are the facts so you can make the determination on your own, I will say only this. I love Oakley, I care very much for its future, and I posted this information to inform people as to help them to not suffer the consequences involved with such activity. This is simply a warning.

:popcorn: I wonder what is going to follow this post. I am interested now.

This is someone on the inside at Oakley riding their high horse warning "someone" of their wrong doings.

This is someone on the inside at Oakley riding their high horse warning "someone" of their wrong doings.

I dont know and this concerns me, rubyx makes some good points maybe a sticky. I doubt there is a single member on this forum that does not have an opinion.

your grammar has me believing you are huffing and puffing and hoping people will believe your bluff.

So this is your sock puppet account; which is your regular account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back