• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Indoor/Low Light Lenses

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Did you try Prizm low light?

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
Did you try Prizm low light?
Yes and without success. They didn't knock down enough light. I actually still have a pair of Flak 2.0 Prizm Low Light XL lenses that I need to sell.

What about slate iridium?

Username Hidden said:
Yes and without success. They didn't knock down enough light. I actually still have a pair of Flak 2.0 Prizm Low Light XL lenses that I need to sell.
Have you found a particular vlt% threshold or tint color type that works better than most for what you need?
Black Persimmon Transition Might be dark enough indoors to work, I’d say they’re a touch darker than P42 Iridium. Which I personally use indoors for shop work.

Username Hidden said:
Light +Red Ird has same VLT as slate, FOV is similar to vr50 ruby when indoors

Username Hidden said:
Slate is too dark.

Username Hidden said:
Have you found a particular vlt% threshold or tint color type that works better than most for what you need?
Black Persimmon Transition Might be dark enough indoors to work, I’d say they’re a touch darker than P42 Iridium. Which I personally use indoors for shop work.
I haven't tried the P42. Tried regular Persimmon and it's a little too bright. I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of 40%-60% VLT. I've had success with Ti Clear Iridium and VR50. G30 works but can be too dark at times.

Black Ird on top of the Persimmon Transition lenses make them slightly darker than standard Persimmon. I find them very close in FOV saturation to P42, here’s a comparison with a tint you’ve mentioned.
629CC0A3-C531-44C2-9A89-5E85832B7F9E.jpeg

I had the opportunity to snag a pair of twenty's with black persimmon a few months back. Didn't act quick enough and somebody bought them first. It was the 1st pair I'd seen in years. I rarely see anything with those or the P42. I recently had a couple pairs of split jackets and had VR50 in 1 and Gold Clear in the other. I loved the lenses but sold them because they didn't look very good on my face.

Username Hidden said:
I had the opportunity to snag a pair of twenty's with black persimmon a few months back. Didn't act quick enough and somebody bought them first. It was the 1st pair I'd seen in years. I rarely see anything with those or the P42. I recently had a couple pairs of split jackets and had VR50 in 1 and Gold Clear in the other. I loved the lenses but sold them because they didn't look very good on my face.
If Jawbone lenses are of interest, I may have a spare set of those vented photochromic Black Persimmon tints. There's also pretty cheap P42 Fast Jacket replacement lenses on ebay, you might be able to cut them down to work on the HJ 1.0 or Twenty. However in general you're correct finding the P42 tint is hard, let alone the OG Black Persimmon Ird is relatively unheard of find.

If you're up for hand cutting your own lenses, then I'd suggest looking into some pre-prizm era snow goggle tints since they share the same base curve as the M-Frame/M2 lenses. The A-Frame/Wisdom/Crowbar/Splice/Airbrake (not xl) goggle lenses are thin enough that you could cut them relatively easily with a dremel for CC M-Frame lenses.

Their black iridium tint has a 20% vlt as the base tint is persimmon (rather than grey neutral like sunglasses), their Blue Iridium was also persimmon based giving it a 30% vlt. VR50 pink iridium with 41% VLT | H.I. Persimmon was 63% VLT (however FOV wise similar to P42 ) | Rose 35% VLT (pre-prizm version) - all of those shouldn't be too hard to find even now. While the following were offered on far less models, they'd still be worth mentioning if hand cutting lenses for indoor/flat light use; Black Rose Iridium (~18% / like a stronger rose saturated version of oo bip FOV) | VR50 Emerald (~36% / between vr50 pink/g30 fov tint color) | VR50 Gold Iridium (~27%) | Pink Iridium (~56% VLT aka OG pink iridium) | Ruby Clear (~96% VLT).

Username Hidden said:
If Jawbone lenses are of interest, I may have a spare set of those vented photochromic Black Persimmon tints. There's also pretty cheap P42 Fast Jacket replacement lenses on ebay, you might be able to cut them down to work on the HJ 1.0 or Twenty. However in general you're correct finding the P42 tint is hard, let alone the OG Black Persimmon Ird is relatively unheard of find.

If you're up for hand cutting your own lenses, then I'd suggest looking into some pre-prizm era snow goggle tints since they share the same base curve as the M-Frame/M2 lenses. The A-Frame/Wisdom/Crowbar/Splice/Airbrake (not xl) goggle lenses are thin enough that you could cut them relatively easily with a dremel for CC M-Frame lenses.

Their black iridium tint has a 20% vlt as the base tint is persimmon (rather than grey neutral like sunglasses), their Blue Iridium was also persimmon based giving it a 30% vlt. VR50 pink iridium with 41% VLT | H.I. Persimmon was 63% VLT (however FOV wise similar to P42 ) | Rose 35% VLT (pre-prizm version) - all of those shouldn't be too hard to find even now. While the following were offered on far less models, they'd still be worth mentioning if hand cutting lenses for indoor/flat light use; Black Rose Iridium (~18% / like a stronger rose saturated version of oo bip FOV) | VR50 Emerald (~36% / between vr50 pink/g30 fov tint color) | VR50 Gold Iridium (~27%) | Pink Iridium (~56% VLT aka OG pink iridium) | Ruby Clear (~96% VLT).

I saw the cheap P42 fast jacket lenses and thought about buying a set. It's probably worth a shot.
As far as the snow goggle lenses, they're thick enough to use in the sunglasses frames? I've only owned the mx goggles and didn't think they were near close enough to work.

Back