• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Insurance

Dallas O Hog

O.C.D. Oakley Collecting Disorder haha
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Dallas
I know several members as well as myself had had issues with shipping companies. Was wondering of we need to make it mandatory to state if auction includes insurance or not. Since most pay f&f and you save those fees I feel we should as a community include insurance on shipping. I mail all packages insured and its included in my f/s price. Didn't know where else to place this thread as I wanted good exposure and its not a f/s thread.

Just a thought, why wouldn't you leave it up to the buyer. If he (or she) wants the item declared and insured the is the price for shipping if not it is this price. They assume the risk if they choose to ship uninsured.

I shipped two bags to a member in a regular envelope, and they got lost by the post office. I now only ship priority (which includes up to $50 insurance; I have added extra as needed in most cases) or in some cases first class with tracking. I state this specifically on listings so that people know ahead of time, even if it does mean the item costs a couple bucks more.

Just a thought, why wouldn't you leave it up to the buyer. If he (or she) wants the item declared and insured the is the price for shipping if not it is this price. They assume the risk if they choose to ship uninsured.

Because it's the shipper's responsibility to make sure the package gets there safely. If the product is not packed correctly, address written illegibly, or the package gets lost, it's the shipper that will be out the money, as the buyer will file a claim and win.

If I'm shipping something, I do the buyer the favor and include insurance whether it was agreed or not. The few extra bucks doesn't help or hurt when the sale price is $300.

I never ever buy insurance , unless it the free 50 dollar that come with Priority mail. I alway just type out the shipping label with the person address clearly type out and taped to the box, and text message a picture of the box and reciept with tracking number from post office. If the value is over 250 or they live in apartment alway get signature confirmation .

Last edited:
I say you leave it up to the buyer and seller in said any situation and leave it at that. Let them figure it out as part of the deal.

I say you leave it up to the buyer and seller in said any situation and leave it at that. Let them figure it out as part of the deal.
I agree... each situation is different... I havent had any issues with shipping so im usually not that worried about insurance, some have had horrible experiences and will always want it.

I agree with nlgrav182. It is the shipper's responsibility to get the package delivered to the buyer. Sometimes it is the shipper's fault that a package doesn't get delivered to the correct address, and the buyer always wins the claim on a lost package regardless. I have had a few packages lost in the past, as a shipper and a receiver. I always include insurance because of my past experiences. Some people have never had a bad experience, but once they do on a high ticket item, insurance usually becomes a must. I always include insurance as part of my pricing. While I don't think it should be made mandatory, the seller should accept the consequences should the package get lost and not take it out on the buyer as I have seen in the past.

I agree with nlgrav182. It is the shipper's responsibility to get the package delivered to the buyer. Sometimes it is the shipper's fault that a package doesn't get delivered to the correct address, and the buyer always wins the claim on a lost package regardless. I have had a few packages lost in the past, as a shipper and a receiver. I always include insurance because of my past experiences. Some people have never had a bad experience, but once they do on a high ticket item, insurance usually becomes a must. I always include insurance as part of my pricing. While I don't think it should be made mandatory, the seller should accept the consequences should the package get lost and not take it out on the buyer as I have seen in the past.

I agree, I have never bought extra insurance but as of right now I'm waiting for a xsquared that was sent two weeks ago and tracking hasn't moved past sort facility for two weeks and my local post office doesn't know what's up with it. Luckily my shipper bought added insurance. I will be adding insurance from now on.