• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Introducing OakleyExchange.com

I actually like this idea of combining all of them an making one mod over all of them. This is something I will bring up with the mods, when we talk about what to do with the exchange sections in regards to minimum requirements.

PiCK ME.

Not to rock the boat but if people stopped being so concerned about 'gifted' and just did regular payment with a description of the item would that not have rendered this whole thing unnecessary?
Thanks
Oakster

Agreed 100%. I don't know why people would take the risk off losing hundreds for a $10 fee.

Agreed 100%. I don't know why people would take the risk off losing hundreds for a $10 fee.

This is true, but a lot of times when the option is there to save the $10 and people "think" they are dealing with someone they trust they will save the money. OakleyExchange.com takes this choice and risk out of the transaction!

My personal perspective is that this is another step in a growing pattern of revenue generation off this site. When I take this new Exchange site along with the recent Premium Membership, forum sponsors, and the long history of 'interesting' banner advertising ... I just get the feeling that the site has a greater focus on generating revenue, whether that is for OakleyBoss or others, I don't know.

There is no doubt that the main forum is full of Oakley fanatics enjoying a shared passion for the brand. But, for me, this emphasis on new revenue streams has an degrading impact across the forums as well. Again, just a perspective from someone who doesn't post much, but has been a member since just about the start here.

Not sure I agree with that as thinks like Premium Membership was initiated by members, not bosses.

My personal perspective is that this is another step in a growing pattern of revenue generation off this site. When I take this new Exchange site along with the recent Premium Membership, forum sponsors, and the long history of 'interesting' banner advertising ... I just get the feeling that the site has a greater focus on generating revenue, whether that is for OakleyBoss or others, I don't know.

There is no doubt that the main forum is full of Oakley fanatics enjoying a shared passion for the brand. But, for me, this emphasis on new revenue streams has an degrading impact across the forums as well. Again, just a perspective from someone who doesn't post much, but has been a member since just about the start here.

Though it is nice for the site to generate revenue so we can pay for hosting and giveaway things like free pairs of sunglasses, everything that has been done has been for this community and suggested by members.

The Forum Sponsors, Premium memberships and even OakleyExchange were all things suggested by members!

In addition, I consider our advertising placement to be moderate. I visit many other forums and often compare our ad placement and other forums show a lot more ads!

We do show a decent amount of ads to guests, this is to encourage guests to register and contribute to the site, since many of the sites visitors are guests, as we all see from the "who's online".

For members we currently only display 2 ads at the Most! One header banner and one footer! Compared to many sites this is extremely conservative. Banner ads today are often ignored, so most sites place many more ads in the content, since these almost always perform better.

As for OakleyExchange.com, there are ads on the site, which will help pay for the hosting and fees associated with running the site. But as of right now it currently collects 0% commission. We will see how this month goes. If the site can support itself consistently enough off of ad revenue it would be very nice to have a 0% commission. Or as was suggested by one member do frequent 1-3% commissions for charities. But we will see.

So just to summarize, this site has always been for the members. Yes we run ads, yes we charge for some services, in todays world this is necessary and common to run a website, especially one of this size.

OakleyExchange.com now has a dedicated Want to Buy classified area, where you can post want to buy ads!

I've tried two times to save my shipping info but this runs into an error:
ijj2kfzc.png

Back