• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium Coating

nuun

Oakley Beginner

I have the half jacket with black iridium coating for ~3 yrs now

Just got the half jacket 2.0 with black iridium recently

when I shine a white LED on the lens, I notice the former iridium will reflect white; the newer iridium reflects a pink hue

any ideas? is it to enhance contrast? or cost cutting since the takeover by luxxotica, hence a lower grade neutral black iridium

I have also a radar path with black iridium, but the tint is not as neutral; it's slightly grey :confused:

all shades are from oakley stores and authentic

btw what lens tint should I get for driving on overcast days?

I tried to use polarized lenses before , but it's not as easy to see the drivers through windshields of oncoming vehicles :blink:

Try vr28 , I think the non polarized let light in a but more than the polarized ones. Don't quote me on that lol but I do recommend the polarized ones due to it reduces the glare from your windshield.

nuun said:

I have the half jacket with black iridium coating for ~3 yrs now

Just got the half jacket 2.0 with black iridium recently

when I shine a white LED on the lens, I notice the former iridium will reflect white; the newer iridium reflects a pink hue

any ideas? is it to enhance contrast? or cost cutting since the takeover by luxxotica, hence a lower grade neutral black iridium

I have also a radar path with black iridium, but the tint is not as neutral; it's slightly grey :confused:

all shades are from oakley stores and authentic

btw what lens tint should I get for driving on overcast days?

I tried to use polarized lenses before , but it's not as easy to see the drivers through windshields of oncoming vehicles :blink:

There's a few potential issues:
- you don't have black in the 2.0's, even I'd the packaged said it, you got the wrong lens. Black iridium has looked the same for years. It's grey with the same "black" chemical compound adhered to it in the iridium chamber.
or
- you had something pinkish behind you when you shined the LED on the 2.0's and were reflecting a bit of it in the mirror.

Show is pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

all non-polarized black iridium

my smartphone can't balance and capture the pinkish/rose hue

Can you guys try to flash a white LED light near black iridium lenses you have?

maybe some of you can notice that pink hue as well

Back