• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is Oakley worth the price?

Are Jordan sneaks worth $500?
Most of us are collectors here.

I feel like this hits the nail on the head.

Whether it be vintage or new, secondary and retail prices have been revolving around what people have been willing to pay. And sure, water is wet, it happens with all material things: sneakers, watches, etc.

If we're solely talking about practical worth...We can make the argument about how important eye protection is in everyday life, but I think over time there are multiple options at multiple price-points that get the bottom line job done. Like no one is going blind wearing gas station shades while walking down the street, or cheap 3M safety glasses at work. It's that's not to discount I still believe that Oakley offers straight better stuff — yet I think that's a separate discussion from the concept of being worthwhile.

A bit of "you don't know what you're missing" if you bypass it. Like, I can go get organic squeezed juice. May truly be healthier and that tree may have been treated better, but it's a conscious decision I just don't want to put my money there (sorry tree). Yet I'm still going to consciously consider 2-day/overnight shipping to be my worthwhile. I'll pay for the overpriced guac at Chipotle (because I already somehow settled on going there so let me just go to town at that point). I do think the subject of premium eyewear kinda falls into this excess/option category.

Sure enough, there can be an element of actual necessity. For me, every other brand I've tried before Oakley didn't fit my nose. I can't skimp in that circumstance because it's the bottom line of either having eyewear or no eyewear, and I needed eyewear for everyday life and cycling. Maybe other working options opened up now, but of course this term of necessity persists: now I don't need to shop for anything else.

I remember there was this one story about a cancer(?) patient saying Yeezy's were the only thing that weren't killing his feet. But for most people, no one actually needs a $200+ fair weather shoe. It'd be an indulgence for them.

what a dumb question to ask on an Oakley forum.
May i know why it's a dumb question? So are you saying oakleys are without doubt better than normal sunglasses? For you it might be a dumb question but for a new user like me it isn't or maybe you are just rich and don't bother about the prices..

I guess the only way to tell is by trying out one for myself. I have bought one with prizm sapphire polarized lens and hope i have made a good choice.

Its not that, its just that on a forum dedicated to people who love Oakley eyewear, it seems like an obvious answer. I think a more appropriate question might be more specific.

Maybe asking which model should i get for my specific needs, or what pair can i get in this price range? That might give you more insight, because whether something is worth the price or not is totally subjective, yet the inherent bias on this platform will always encourage someone to buy a pair.

May i know why it's a dumb question? So are you saying oakleys are without doubt better than normal sunglasses? For you it might be a dumb question but for a new user like me it isn't or maybe you are just rich and don't bother about the prices..

Fell in love with oakley around the late 90's mid 2000's. Could say it was their prime years prior to Lux take over... at that time they didn't just design sunglasses, they sculpted timeless works of art that you could wear.

Additionally at that time it seemed Oakley was out to fill a gap between lifestyle (daily wear shades) and active (sport specific shades) eyewear. In providing customers with a pair that could function for both without hinder one of the other, ie durable enough to last you through Fallujah, comfortable enough you can wear em for several hours while driving, crafted with wear's hobbies in mind so they fit well with your helmet on when you tackle the Tour de France, and still tame enough in their design you could wear out for date night without getting some strange looks - because you're wearing sport specific sunglasses (if you look at other sunglasses from that period from like TDF they look pretty out there/not lifestylish)

I guess the only way to tell is by trying out one for myself. I have bought one with prizm sapphire polarized lens and hope i have made a good choice.
Nice choice on tint, P.SIP is a versatile tint works in all kinds of weather from what I've found. Also looks gorgeous imo!... then again I'm blue love bias lol

Are Jordan sneaks worth $500?
Most of us are collectors here.
definitely not........ also, the problem with collecting shoes is that after x number of years the glue will disintegrate and the shoe will fall apart if you wear them.. no such problem with unworn sunglasses

One more thing if i want to get replacement lens for holbrook, how can i check if a lens is real or fake? Are there fake lenses in the first place for prizm?

One more thing if i want to get replacement lens for holbrook, how can i check if a lens is real or fake? Are there fake lenses in the first place for prizm?

I find the most reliable answer is firsthand experience. You should just buy as direct as possible at least in the first goes. You'll know firsthand how the shapes/bezels/tint/minute details are. At least with me, when I got my first Radarlock at a cycling meet, I kept getting paranoid with how close fakes could get. There was a point where I could have deduced it was real but really needed a more legit sourced pair to be 200% sure.

And then there's a bit of an eye test when looking through. While it's debatable how distinguishable Oakley is vs. Other quality competitors, I think people can tell the difference between Oakley and some cheap lenses.

Latest Posts

Back