• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is peeling inevitable? Ordered some Portal X with deep water prizm polarized and am worried. Overblown?

lazarus870

Oakley Beginner
Got a good work discount on Oakleys. Already have the EV Radar Path Prizm and they've been great. Also have 3 pairs of Persol, 3 pairs of Maui Jims. So want some "durable" everyday glasses.

I have heard that sweating and not cleaning right away will strip the top layer off. Is that just the anti reflective? Will it still be polarized and have Prizm?

Are different colors more prone to it than others?
Want my Deep Water Prizm Portal X's to be in good shape but I will definitely still use them and not be "gentle" with them. Scratches don't bother me much but the whole thing peeling apart would!

Got a good work discount on Oakleys. Already have the EV Radar Path Prizm and they've been great. Also have 3 pairs of Persol, 3 pairs of Maui Jims. So want some "durable" everyday glasses.

I have heard that sweating and not cleaning right away will strip the top layer off. Is that just the anti reflective? Will it still be polarized and have Prizm?

Are different colors more prone to it than others?
Want my Deep Water Prizm Portal X's to be in good shape but I will definitely still use them and not be "gentle" with them. Scratches don't bother me much but the whole thing peeling apart would!

Just take care of your lenses as best as you can. That's all you can do. Not taking care of your lenses will shorten the life of them. If de-lam does start, hopefully you can contain it to areas out of line of sight. I usually just replace the lenses if de-lam gets real bad. :cool-33:🤙

The reason to delam. is still unclear to me.
There are a few theories that may be true, but are certainly not the only reasons why.
- Body Oil
- Sweat
- Sun protection
- Temperature changes
- Pressure from the orbital
All of these reasons can contribute.
But why overnight both lenses in a pair of glasses dilam. so far no one can explain.
Or why the lenses of two pairs of glasses from different seller delam. during shipping. so far no one has been able to explain it.

It seem to be older lenses that delam. Newer lenses to delam. I have not heard much.

Last edited:
The combination of moisture (especially sweat or sea water) + sun accelerates delamination in my experience. Don't store the glasses wet, either.

I 100% agree with the advice here: do your best caring for them and that's all you can do.

Charles

Are you still talking about Oakleys or Gremlins?

1980’s Grogu!

9446BEA7-3810-4951-930B-D814C786F4C2.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back