• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is The Collecting Market Blowing Up, Or Are There More Seeking A Profit Via Our Hobby

I know what you all are saying but last month I felt like I left some money on the table when I sold my gen 1 fingerprint m frames bc I put them on eBay as an auction with a buy it now price of $125 and it someone bought them 15 minutes after I posted them.... I felt like i sold them for a fair price but Im convinced I could've easily gotten more

I think currently it is about making a profit for most people, and especially on eBay. People believe that just because they have a pair that isn't super common means that they are worth a bunch of money. For instance, and this drives me absolutely crazy, is people selling custom pairs for outlandish prices. I'm sure you all have seen the custom Fuels Cells that are "one of a kind" because the guy put his own picture on the stems and then asks like $350 for them.

I think it all comes down to greed over a brand that is infamous for being highly collectible. And I know the feeling of losing out on a good deal in the last second.

Also, I think CL is a much better place to get deals, you just have to keep your eye open for them.

Value is an individual thing, if you don't think something is worth $300 then fine, don't buy it, but don't complain about it either.

The market is very simple, people sell things for what they can get, they may not get it straight away but they will get it. I remember the STPL Frogskins came out, would sell for around $250-300, then the market died down a little bit and they go for $200, now they are up to $350-400, and I've seen them sell at that price. If prices are on the rise now that means people are willing to pay more and sellers are reacting to that.

People complain about prices being too high but then again want things for dirt cheap. Many of us don't even want to buy at retail prices direct from Oakley which is just the reverse of sellers asking too much. If everything sold for $50 then Oakley would be out of business, and then what?

People can complain that sellers are greedy charging too high prices but they behave just as greedily by wanting things too cheaply, and generally it's just a gripe because they can't afford what they want.

Value is an individual thing, if you don't think something is worth $300 then fine, don't buy it, but don't complain about it either.

The market is very simple, people sell things for what they can get, they may not get it straight away but they will get it. I remember the STPL Frogskins came out, would sell for around $250-300, then the market died down a little bit and they go for $200, now they are up to $350-400, and I've seen them sell at that price. If prices are on the rise now that means people are willing to pay more and sellers are reacting to that.

People complain about prices being too high but then again want things for dirt cheap. Many of us don't even want to buy at retail prices direct from Oakley which is just the reverse of sellers asking too much. If everything sold for $50 then Oakley would be out of business, and then what?

People can complain that sellers are greedy charging too high prices but they behave just as greedily by wanting things too cheaply, and generally it's just a gripe because they can't afford what they want.

I'm not talking about collector's pairs, special editions, artist runs, or anything else that commands some bigger money. I'm talking about seeing more and more run of the mill pairs with huge buy-it-now prices.

I've been tracking NewFrogs and buying up a few here and there. They sell for $50-70 in new condition, maybe over $100 for a like new polarized, much less for any amount of wear. I saw one listed for $150 OBO, and I sent an offer and said "hey I've been buying a few of these and watching a lot, they sell for $50-70" And the seller took my offer. Another pair has popped up for $150 and the seller wants to have no part in negotiations. They think old = rare = valuable and they're listing the most common colorway above retail with no box/bag. The listing has a few extra tags to help it be found, so some schmoe may come along and be excited for the chance of owning a rare pair they know nothing about for the low low price of $150. Does that mean all of my NewFrogs are worth almost triple what I paid for them? I don't believe so.

I've got a fair amount of greed, I'll buy low and sell high, but I'm not bitching about people pricing a classic M Frame for $100 or $150, I'm bitching about the guy with a cracked Gen2 that's scratched like crazy selling for $200 and making his listing sound like he's doing you a favor letting his prized collector piece go for so low.

Back