• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is there such thing as TOO NICE?

Hi all.

I'd like to run something past everyone here in the off topic section. I've been taken advantage of numerous times over the years here. Not just because of my good nature but because I'm perhaps too trusting in others. So far it's been innocent enough not to be too bothered by it.. Anyway my question is. Have you ever been taken advantage of by someone here or abused by them because of your good trusting nature. Seems like a strange thing to ask but I have some pretty good reasons lately to ask this. I don't do anything out of malice and I never have. So why abuse? Why be negative? Or why not be understanding and patent. Sorry Im weird I guess. I trust too many and expect too much. It's best perhaps to think the worst outcome first then be perhaps surprised when it goes better than that? Been through a ton this year so maybe I'm getting soft. Lol..
We need names! :)

You're not too soft. In fact, sounds like your head is in the right place, if you're questioning things after being $hi+ on. Welcome to my world. You try and treat people the way you wish to be treated. I believe my good nature was why I was targeted in the first place. Because I thought I could trust others. But I found out the hard way that even here on this forum, there are good people, and there are bad. And just like the real world, the bad could be, lets say, really F-ed up. There are people that 'know' I got ripped off, and said 'nothing' when I was being attacked for trying to say something. The criminal might be gone now, but those $hi++y people are still here attacking my character for no reason. Because of this place, I went from wanting to collect Oakleys, to wanting to sell off almost everything I have. And I have been. Laters with Oakleys. Sounds like you have a good heart Brian, and I hope it doesn't get to you the way it did me. I'm just here for a couple more Mars, then I'm outta here.
I find the part where you mention "You try and treat people the way you wish to be treated" very relatable.
I mostly like to write more than a few words and drop in a few lines via PM to a select few who I might strike a chord with due to their current circumstance or a relatable situation.
Being human, all I typically look for is an acknowledgment; failing to receive one I question my initiation of the PM in the first place.
It causes much hesitancy in being forthcoming, but I suck it up thinking it is what it is.
Last recollection was a PM via Whatsapp to someone on the forum who was mourning the loss of a dear one; and the heartfelt condolence message went unacknowledged.

Being nice without wanting reciprocation is a great thing; having that taken advantage of is clearly not. But I wouldn’t let that change my approach.

I’ve given a few things away here, mostly out of the blue, and been given a few things in return. By different people mostly, it’s not often a quid pro quo thing, because it doesn’t need to be.

I’ve had people go to some lengths to help me get things that are more available where they live than here. They know who they are. They wanted nothing in return - I’ve been able to buy at least one of them lunch and will do the same for the other next time I’m in that country.

Do as you would be done to has worked for me on here without exception. A shame that not everyone thinks the same way, it seems.

One of my more common phrases to people is...

"If you act like a doormat, don't be surprised when some treat you like a doormat."

Not all will, but some are far too eager to take advantage of others. Like @Litos said, I don't intend to be a victim, not willingly at least. We all must do our best to protect ourselves.

Keep on keeping on bro. Don't let selfish pricks diminish your spirit, but also, can't cry I'm a victim if you let them....

I have to disagree. As one of those people I can assure you NONE of us believed he was screwing you, it was the word of a "noob" against that of a "friend". We all found out we were dead wrong and I don't believe any of them, I know I don't, hold any of it against you. How the hell could we? You did nothing wrong. That said I hope you don't really give up Oakley collecting because of the actions of one assclown. You collect way too cool of stuff to let it go. I'd hate to see you dump it all then regret it later. Ask X Man about his Mars Craters lol He regrets it every time he sells one.

As for Brian, you're Canadian so I think by default you're too nice. 😂

Repeat this Mantra: **** you, you ****in ****.

The next time someone is a **** to you, tell em that.

To answer you question, yes, only once was I screwed by someone here. Not by a noob, not by someone I barely talked to, but by someone I called friend. It relates directly back to the first half of this post. Same assclown. In the end I got my money back but that was never the issue. It was the trust. I wouldn't call it a waste though. I learned a great deal from the experience. Mainly I learned what signs to look for. Luckily I've not encountered any other assclowns like that but I assure you, if I do, you will all know about it.

Wait now that I think about it there was that one douchebag kiteboy several years ago that sold a bunch of **** to several of us that had been in a storage locker getting hot. You know what the heat does to X Metal box foam and rubber. He claimed it was all new, big surprise, it wasn't. Paypal had our backs and the dude went away after some time.
He clearly said it wasn't "just one assclown." He also clearly said, it's still happening! When will y'all be adults and accept responsibility for your actions? Apologies are still owed.

You're not too soft. In fact, sounds like your head is in the right place, if you're questioning things after being $hi+ on. Welcome to my world. You try and treat people the way you wish to be treated. I believe my good nature was why I was targeted in the first place. Because I thought I could trust others. But I found out the hard way that even here on this forum, there are good people, and there are bad. And just like the real world, the bad could be, lets say, really F-ed up. There are people that 'know' I got ripped off, and said 'nothing' when I was being attacked for trying to say something. The criminal might be gone now, but those $hi++y people are still here attacking my character for no reason. Because of this place, I went from wanting to collect Oakleys, to wanting to sell off almost everything I have. And I have been. Laters with Oakleys. Sounds like you have a good heart Brian, and I hope it doesn't get to you the way it did me. I'm just here for a couple more Mars, then I'm outta here.
Don't let a pack of crybaby outrage mob wannabe tough guys run you off bro. There's still some good folk around here.

He clearly said it wasn't "just one assclown." He also clearly said, it's still happening! When will y'all be adults and accept responsibility for your actions? Apologies are still owed.
Don't let a pack of crybaby outrage mob wannabe tough guys run you off bro. There's still some good folk around here.
No apologies needed for me. Had enough bull$hi+.

Not really going anywhere. A-ho's have emboldened me to stick around to keep them in check. Might just buy a lifetime membership now. Just going to be real busy soon and will be around here a lot less.

Back